Mustang as an overlander?

Mrmoustache

I'm gonna keep the mustang, I think the civic would be a step down. I was just thinking about a shorter wheelbase and that the fwd would provide more traction. But the mustang has a solid rear axle so better articulation...

Airmapper

Inactive Member
You want this:

2680df3fe17e6c642edb4c2d040aa941.jpg

Wolvee

Adventurer
I gotta be the guy that jokes about that being a SN95's stock wheel gap, lol.

Maybeeee, if it looks like this:

158362d1401680609-527511_8d61eb92-49c1-441c-98cc-4b57fb1497b2_prod.jpg

Hey, get out there and explore, just don't count on going on any rugged roads. There is a LOT in this world to see you can get to in a car. Heck I've spent the day running around backroads, seeing the sights and honestly, if someone in a Prius had followed me, they would have made it. You will get to a point where you can buy the vehicle that fits you to a T and go wherever. I started out with a little Ford Escape, but granted it was AWD and I could get a little off road with it, just not very far. But I saved my money and when it came time for a new vehicle I got exactly what I always wanted, a real 4x4.

ihatemybike

Explorer
How many companies even offer a lift for a mustang?
I've looked a few times. (Hey, I drive in beater rallies.) I've yet to find a readily available lift kit for a Mustang. However, mild lifts can be done fairly easily.

Seeing that his is a 1998, I'm willing to bet the factory coil springs are a bit tired and have lost some ride height. New springs all around will run $110-$140 at RockAuto.com, new coil insulators $40. Get two sets of insulators and stack them for extra ride height. I'm guessing this will add 1"-1.5" of ride height.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I would pick up a sheet of aluminum and make a skid plate for under the oil pan and just go have fun.
Gravel roads are everywhere and often times I have been suprised by on old econobox out on some "trail"

just make sure to take pics and come back and tell us all about it

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I miss my 2001 Mustang, Bright yellow and louder than hell. I'd have old ladies, kids, pretty ladies tell me what a nice car it was at least once a week. It wasn't great though. Suspension design dated back to 1978, just don't hit a bump while taking on a hard corner under throttle.

The 8.8 with the lsd would be a must for "overlanding"

ExplorerTom

Explorer
interested in long, challenging off-road adventures!

Challenging by who's standards? A dirt road could be challenging in a Mustang.

Or am I nuts? Lol

Ding ding!

Mustangs are cool and all but really aren't well suited for off pavement driving. Sure you can do it as evidence by all these pictures and videos, but it's not the best tool for the job. A pickup or SUV sounds like it would fit your lifestyle way better than a Mustang.

Mrmoustache

I hear what you're saying, your right in a way. But I don't have an SUV/truck. I have a mustang. It was given to me by my older brother. I think I will make some skid plates, and see what this thing can do! I'll take my buddy with a Tacoma to pull me through when I get stuck in mud and on rocks. I plan on doing atv trails in this thing

Retired Tanker

Explorer
I hear what you're saying, your right in a way. But I don't have an SUV/truck. I have a mustang. It was given to me by my older brother. I think I will make some skid plates, and see what this thing can do! I'll take my buddy with a Tacoma to pull me through when I get stuck in mud and on rocks. I plan on doing atv trails in this thing

Does your buddy have a camera? Please share your experiences with us!!

ScoobyMike

I grew up in Aroostook County but was educated at UMO so I know a little something about you city slickers and your fancy automobiles. Here is an idea:

Strap 2 Old Town canoes onto the top of that thing and build a Joey Chitwood ramp on the bank of the Penobscot. Get that rust bucket up to 88 MPH and do a half roll into the river. Then, paddle down to Winterport where my brother will meet you to slap some sense into you.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I plan on doing atv trails in this thing

Sounds like a great way to break that Mustang.

While you're making skid plates (that will get used), make front and rear tow hooks- those will get used too.

Right now you've got a Mustang that is worth something that could be applied to something more appropriate. After you do what you're planning on doing, you'll have a busted up Mustang that isn't worth anything.

But at least you'll have pictures to share.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Right now you've got a Mustang that is worth something
Well....he does have a 1998 Mustang. The mid-late 90s body styles aren't too sought after yet. He hasn't mentioned the specs of it or where he's from. His could be a V6 from the rust belt. When I was browsing for a beater Mustang I found plenty of this era for under a grand.

Mrmoustache

Sounds like a great way to break that Mustang.

While you're making skid plates (that will get used), make front and rear tow hooks- those will get used too.

Right now you've got a Mustang that is worth something that could be applied to something more appropriate. After you do what you're planning on doing, you'll have a busted up Mustang that isn't worth anything.

But at least you'll have pictures to share.
Thanks. The factory tow hooks should be good enough, I have a shackle and recovery strap to use with them. I figure the first thing I'll break is the plastic bumpers. Don't need em.
Well....he does have a 1998 Mustang. The mid-late 90s body styles aren't too sought after yet. He hasn't mentioned the specs of it or where he's from. His could be a V6 from the rust belt. When I was browsing for a beater Mustang I found plenty of this era for under a grand.
It's the 4.6 v8, and got the lsd rear end (I jacked it up at the diff to be sure).
It runs great, at 286xxx miles. But yes its very rusty, mostly around the wheel wells, bottom of the doors, and virtually everything underneath ********. I don't think I'd even get a grand for it because of the body rust.

Oh and me and the car are both from Bangor, Maine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94