Mustang as an overlander?

Mrmoustache

Hi fellow adventurers! I'm new here, my name is Todd, hailing from Bangor, Maine. I just got my first vehicle, a 1998 Ford mustang. I grew up camping and fishing and have for a while been interested in long, challenging off-road adventures! I know the mustang is not ideal for this but it's what I have, the trunk is pretty big. Do you guys think I can make it work with traction pads, come along, etc. Or am I nuts? Lol

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
The low clearance will make it difficult traversing even a simple fire road.
You would be fine camping at a rv campsite with some friends. That is always fun.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Maybeeee, if it looks like this:

158362d1401680609-527511_8d61eb92-49c1-441c-98cc-4b57fb1497b2_prod.jpg

Hey, get out there and explore, just don't count on going on any rugged roads. There is a LOT in this world to see you can get to in a car. Heck I've spent the day running around backroads, seeing the sights and honestly, if someone in a Prius had followed me, they would have made it. You will get to a point where you can buy the vehicle that fits you to a T and go wherever. I started out with a little Ford Escape, but granted it was AWD and I could get a little off road with it, just not very far. But I saved my money and when it came time for a new vehicle I got exactly what I always wanted, a real 4x4.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Remember, overlanding is just an overly fancy name for a road trip. Take your car, stay within its limitations, and have fun. If/when you get to the point you really feel the need to add more off road time to your adventures you can give thought to replacing the mustang with something appropriate.

Retired Tanker

Explorer
Hi fellow adventurers! I'm new here, my name is Todd, hailing from Bangor, Maine. I just got my first vehicle, a 1998 Ford mustang. I grew up camping and fishing and have for a while been interested in long, challenging off-road adventures! I know the mustang is not ideal for this but it's what I have, the trunk is pretty big. Do you guys think I can make it work with traction pads, come along, etc. Or am I nuts? Lol

Like this one (Thomas Crowne Affair)?

98b189c782d91533ce11262c4273498d.jpg

Mrmoustache

Thanks for the advice fellahs, after a little more thought I think I'm gonna put slicks on the back and turn it into a drag car instead.

ihatemybike

Explorer
My head goes directly to Edith's Mustang in the movie Cherry 2000. Mild lift, American Racing Outlaw 2 wheels, all terrain tires, bull bar and a winch. Nasty, but epic.
Cherry2000_Mustang.jpg

Here's another nasty Mustang. East African Rally, Ian Duncan in a 1967 Mustang
EastAfricanRally_IanDuncan_1967FordMustang.jpg

2010 Ford Mustang rally car

Anything can be an overland vehicle, just try to know the vehicle's limits. Somewhere I saw a pic of Mustang with a roof rack that extended back to vertical supports coming up from the rear bumper, IIRC it was used for canoes/kayaks. A rack like that could also be used for a roof top tent.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
How many companies even offer a lift for a mustang? I saw a lifted Honda Fit the other day so I'm sure there is something out there.

tarditi

Explorer
As Aaron (IHateMyBike) said - anything can be an overlander. It really depends on your adventures.
Look at the Mad Max movies! Look at Baja Bugs!

The reality is, though, to make it something you don't completely thrash, you may have to invest so much money that you would ultimately be better of with a more "typical" platform. You could maybe get a Toyota Tacoma or Jeep Cherokee, or something that was designed for backroads, washboards, and the occasional broken dirt road.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
After getting to this point of the thread a certain word comes to mind. It rhymes with roll and is spelled troll......

Kevin108

Explorer
Hey, I've kinda been down that road. NO.

Keep a vehicle that WILL absolutely get your butt to work and back. No fixer uppers until you can afford that by itself.
Needing ball joints doesn't really make it a fixer-upper...

Thanks for the advice fellahs, after a little more thought I think I'm gonna put slicks on the back and turn it into a drag car instead.
If you thought overlanding was expensive, just wait until you try racing. :yikes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior