Must have mods for beach time?

so we're thinking about moving from land locked suburbs back to east coast Florida. Last time I lived there it was Daytona, and you could drive out onto the beach and generally hang out by your car. Had I known about this forum, I would have had some roll out awnings and probably a fridge, along with something on the roof to act as a shower.

I have a GX460 and I'm wondering what kind of must-have mods I should start learning about to make time in the sand more enjoyable. this is not hard core dune riding, but something that I was usually able to do in a 2wd sedan. ALthough every summer we would push/pull some tourists out of the soft spots.

My thoughts so far are:
a lot of awnings
water up top for washing off
rack for boards and kayaks
small shovel
probably maxtrax or similar for if I get bogged
and straps for when tourists get stuck

suggestions?

FlipperFla

so we're thinking about moving from land locked suburbs back to east coast Florida. Last time I lived there it was Daytona, and you could drive out onto the beach and generally hang out by your car. Had I known about this forum, I would have had some roll out awnings and probably a fridge, along with something on the roof to act as a shower.

I have a GX460 and I'm wondering what kind of must-have mods I should start learning about to make time in the sand more enjoyable. this is not hard core dune riding, but something that I was usually able to do in a 2wd sedan. ALthough every summer we would push/pull some tourists out of the soft spots.

My thoughts so far are:
a lot of awnings
water up top for washing off
rack for boards and kayaks
small shovel
probably maxtrax or similar for if I get bogged
and straps for when tourists get stuck

suggestions?
You hit about everything. Beach driving is becoming very limited because a lot of the large hotels and condos are pushing for private access. The main thing would be a sunshade with sand anchors, the kind that screw in the sand, you can get them at Walmart, a shower system for the sand and saltwater, and a daisy mat at your door. Coleman makes a really nice sunshade but is only available through Target, it has a sliver reflective top and comes with a side shade so when the sun hits an angle where the rays will come in the side. A mat and tow strap would be nice addition with the sugar sand. The only driving beaches I know are Vilano, north of St.Aug. inlet, Daytona, and part of NSB. Alcohol is prohibited on all. Daytona is always very crowded and you will be side by side with other vehicles just like a regular parking lot with little or no privacy.

While we on the topic of sand and shade, are these the proper sand anchors? Large Size
http://www.orangescrew.com/shop.html#reflective-cord
orange-screw-ground-anchor-screw.png

Mass_Mopar

Don't Litter
We found little things make a big difference.
- some way to manage trash. We use a trasharoo on the spare tire
- bucket for washing sand off feet just before jumping back in to head out. Especially handy with kids
- rubber, catch-all floor mats

We skipped awnings and just bought a giant umbrella with UV protection.

TommyG

Adventurer
EZ Up/Awning of some kind. We also take a portable toilet with a small platform to set it on and a privacy tent. This keeps us from running the ladies and kids back to town for bathroom emergencies. Twice as many sand anchors as you think you will use. A good cooler that will hold ice or a 12v fridge is a nice to have also.

If you don't mind having it on your roof rack you can make a nice sun shower out of 4 inch black PVC pipe. Put a spigot or quick connect in the rear end cap and mount it slightly angled to the rear. Nice to have a warm rinse off after a day in the salt and sand. Just pull it apart and clean it out every so often.

FlipperFla

Great idea with the shower, nothing worse than driving home covered in saltwater.
- bucket for washing sand off feet just before jumping back in to head out. Especially handy with kids

EZ Up/Awning of some kind. We also take a portable toilet with a small platform to set it on and a privacy tent. This keeps us from running the ladies and kids back to town for bathroom emergencies. Twice as many sand anchors as you think you will use. A good cooler that will hold ice or a 12v fridge is a nice to have also.

If you don't mind having it on your roof rack you can make a nice sun shower out of 4 inch black PVC pipe. Put a spigot or quick connect in the rear end cap and mount it slightly angled to the rear. Nice to have a warm rinse off after a day in the salt and sand. Just pull it apart and clean it out every so often.

rayra

Expedition Leader
we just had a topic like this recently and I suggested something like roll-up bamboo beach mats as door mats for the vehicle. Real easy way to help keep sand out of the vehicle. There are also nice 'tatami' style mats that work very well on the sand. Better than a blanket or towel, albeit a bit bulkier to store.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles