Multimeter recommendations

67cj5

Observer
Fluke is still good stuff, but its not John Fluke days anymore...
Sadly alot of premier names in industry is fallen when the balance of profit & perfection is shifted by new owners.
Yeah it's a work of art, But now I need to send it in to get fixed, I cost me £336.00 which is about $440.00 back about 10 years ago, It still works but the bleep has stopped working and even though I had not used it in a while I turned it on to find the main fuse had blown yet it worked fine when I put it away, I have sort of lost faith in Fluke products after buying the best money can buy and it just lets me down and in all honesty I think a person can get by quite well buying a 50/60$$ meter from UNI-T because you can buy 8 of them for the cost of my Fluke 179.

67cj5

Observer
Are you sure it wasn't a counterfeit? Have seen those in many other brands. You don't notice the difference until you open it up and there are nuts glued inside to make it weigh more...
No It's the real deal, because I went to the Fluke Importers to buy it and I get the full Tour of their Calibration house and everything and I got their address from Fluke U.S.A.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
this won't sit well with many of you , I have used HF multi meters for years, I have one in both my vehicles in my camper and my shop.
I realize they're not necessarily for commercial use but for all my needs they are fine, @ $3.99 each hard to beat.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
this won't sit well with many of you , I have used HF multi meters for years, I have one in both my vehicles in my camper and my shop.
I realize they're not necessarily for commercial use but for all my needs they are fine, @ $3.99 each hard to beat.
They can work, until they don't. My parents had one of these on their boat. I tried using to it trace down a charging problem. Finally gave up and picked up my good personal unit. The "5$ special" meter was reading between 3-5V high! The results are pseudo random numbers, mostly dependent on how hard I tapped the back. When dealing lead acid charging systems, especially on off-grid type electrical setups, 0.2V can change battery life by more than half.

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I had one HF meter years ago. Was a freebie coupon. Worked fine except for the +/- leads being wired backwards.

JPaul

Observer
I've gotten a few of the HF freebies, but the leads always break in short order, usually the positive...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Expedition Leader
I've gotten a few of the HF freebies, but the leads always break in short order, usually the positive...
The great thing about cheap ones is you can buy 10 to average the reading of the 6 that work to arrive at an approximate value you can use to make a slightly better than coin toss guess if your circuit is working or not.

JPaul

Observer
The great thing about cheap ones is you can buy 10 to average the reading of the 6 that work to arrive at an approximate value you can use to make a slightly better than coin toss guess if your circuit is working or not.
Yeah, I only use them more to see if there is voltage or a short or ground issue. I have a True RMS Craftsman meter that I've had since I was a teenager (20 years now) that I use for more precise things. Just picked up one of the Uni-T 210E meters as well. Just needed it as a "precise enough" DC clamp meter.