Multi-purpose Taco build

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
ntsqd said:
What does the "199mm" and "231mm" refer to? That'd be a puny rotor OD, so it must be something else like caliper length?
Caliper length I believe. The rotors are something like 14" in diameter. All of my knowledge is gained through reading and catalogs, not first hand with my own eyes and so it's got to be tempered with a great big AFAIK... I believe the 231mm calipers are also thicker, but I don't think the 199 and 231 refer to thickness. That would be about 9" deep. I dunno, maybe?

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'm not sure what the 231mm vs 199mm refers to either, but I assume it has something to do with the length of the caliper. Funny thing is, I measured the calipers and they weren't either of those numbers.

Anyway, I made sure I sourced my factory calipers from a post-TSB truck (an '05 Tundra) to make sure I got the 231's.

As far as the wheels go, '04 through '06 Tundras had the same wheels as my Taco, so there's no problem with rubbing. All the guys on TTORA who did a swap like this on 4runners did have to grind the wheels, but they have different wheels than me.

Hoosier 45

Adventurer
Hi Blake,
You look like you do very nice work.

I had a couple questions:
1. Did your tranny cooler come with an engine oil cooler?
2. Do you think the tranny cooler would be worth the $$ to some one who rarely tows, in order to lengthen drive train life? Every vehicle I have driven I keep till it goes to the junk yard or parts car status.
3. What size stock did you use for your sliders? & Do you have prints?
4. A question to all, I live in Indiana and welding to the frame seems like it would expose the inside of the frame to future rust problems. How do you deal with this?

Thanks Martin

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Hoosier 45 said:
Hi Blake,
You look like you do very nice work.

Thanks!

Hoosier 45 said:
I had a couple questions:
1. Did your tranny cooler come with an engine oil cooler?
2. Do you think the tranny cooler would be worth the $$ to some one who rarely tows, in order to lengthen drive train life? Every vehicle I have driven I keep till it goes to the junk yard or parts car status.
3. What size stock did you use for your sliders? & Do you have prints?
4. A question to all, I live in Indiana and welding to the frame seems like it would expose the inside of the frame to future rust problems. How do you deal with this?

Thanks Martin

1: No.
2: I don't see why not. There are are cheaper universal coolers to be had.
3: The sliders are 1.5" OD 11ga (.120 wall) HREW. The prints I bent to were drawn on my shop floor in chalk.
4: It's dry here, so I didn't worry about that. That is a valid concern for someone living where you live though. Not sure how I'd deal with it. Fill the frame full of Great Stuff?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94