Multi-pin weatherproof bulkhead connectors for RTT passthrough

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Hi,
I'm at the point in my project that I need to pass some power through the fiberglass roof of my Jeep and into my RTT. I need a low amperage 12V circuit in the tent (for charging the RTT light, phone charging, etc.) and I need to pass the wiring for my Propex thermostat through (which has six connectors).

Some searching has turned this connector up. Six connectors for the Propex thermostat, two for 12V power, and four more connectors for future projects lead me to ordering two twelve-pin sets (one for the roof of the Jeep, and one for the bottom of the RTT).

I really like that the amperage rating is 10A for each pin, and that when I get around to hot-wiring the fan in my Propex to run all the time between heating cycles, I will have some room to play around (extra pins) and will also have extra pins for whatever comes up later. It's also good that the kit includes a cap for the non-90º half of the jack to seal it if the RTT is removed.

Does anyone think this is a dumb idea? I have already drilled 16 one-inch holes through the fiberglass roof for the rack mounting system and plan to drill a couple more 60mm+ holes for air ducts.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I think this is a great idea. This same idea is something I have been thinking about quite a bit. I need to find a way to route power up to a rack for lights and then into a RTT, but still keep it as OEM as possible, while allowing the removal of the rack and harness when needed. This style of connector is the civilian version of the Aerospace version I use for work. Search on "38999" connector. You will be able to find every style, mounting option, material, and pin out you could ever dream of. When you are not buying them with manned space flight quality clauses, the prices are not too bad.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I think this is a great idea. This same idea is something I have been thinking about quite a bit. I need to find a way to route power up to a rack for lights and then into a RTT, but still keep it as OEM as possible, while allowing the removal of the rack and harness when needed. This style of connector is the civilian version of the Aerospace version I use for work. Search on "38999" connector. You will be able to find every style, mounting option, material, and pin out you could ever dream of. When you are not buying them with manned space flight quality clauses, the prices are not too bad.

I think it's a great idea too. After mulling it over for the weekend, if I still think it's a great idea (and nobody offers an opinion that happens to point out something that I overlooked), then I will order them and install them.

The worst part about a heated RTT is running wire A up into the tent, then running wire B down into the cab, then running wire C out to something under the awning, and running ducts A&B to here and there, then turning on the propane, then plugging in the power, then trying to figure out the error code because you missed something or pooched the necessary order-of-operations...because you started your campfire drinking an hour or two earlier, etc..

I'm hoping to wind up with a situation that involves:
  1. Open the propane valve when you park at camp
  2. Open the RTT
  3. Turn on the thermostat
  4. Enjoy warm/dry tent

Beowolf, if you haven't seen it, check out the Jeep build thread in my signature. I know you are gearing up for a Slimline II and RTT. Might some stuff there that interests you. I will document the installation of the bulkhead connectors there.

And, when you start to put your rig together (if you haven't already) I hope you will have a build thread to share too.

J!m

Amphenol. You can get as many pins as you want, all different amperage ratings. Pins are silver plated, so connections are good.

You have to solder the back side, but it’s not too bad. You can get mounting gaskets as well as threaded gasketed caps to keep it covered when not in use.

The company I worked for uses them a lot and I’ve gotten my current company on board with them.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Also check out the AquaSignal.

The connector is lower profile which might benefit going into a RTT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles