Mule Expedition Outfitters accessory brackets do not fit Four Wheel Camper

ramblinChet

Hmmm...to say I am somewhat disappointed is an understatement. I am preparing for a trip which departs next week and wanted to take along some additional fuel so I ordered the Mule Expedition Outfitters Four Wheel Camper accessory brackets. One drivers side ($130), one passenger side ($130), plus shipping ($35) so am in $295 for two brackets. Maybe a bit high but they looked good in pictures and I am in a crunch for time.

Unfortunately, neither one fits.

What is really disappointing is that Mule are Four Wheel Camper dealers. Ordering from a company who manufactures accessories is one thing and you may expect some issues but when they deal in the product line that the accessory is designed to attach to? No excuses.

Here are pics and details:

Here is the drivers site bracket with a picture taken from below. The bracket is snug on the left side but sticks out over an inch on the right side. Very crooked and unusable.
2022-09-22_14.53.17.jpeg

For reference, here is the passenger side. This fits perfect and is snug on the right side, and as I would later realize, too snug on the left side.
2022-09-22_14.53.46.jpeg

Here are two pictures side-by-side for comparison. On the left is the drivers side and you can clearly see the massive gap - this is way off. On the right is the passenger side and although the gap is very tight, it appears to be too tight. How will I fit the head of a bolt in there without grinding it against my camper?
2022-09-22_14.54.50.jpeg2022-09-22_14.55.32.jpeg

If you look closely in the dark area in the center of the picture you can see the factory installed solar plug connection on the rear wall. It looks like the bracket on the drivers side is in conflict with this and that is what is forcing the bracket to be crooked. I am confused since these are not a recent addition - I checked and these have been installed on all FWC beginning in January 2015. So, nearly eight years and no accommodation?
20220922_144504.jpeg

In closing, the brackets appear to be well designed and look great but once you bolt them on the story changes quickly. Neither side fit correctly. On the drivers side the bracket is crooked. On the passenger side the bracket is so tight there is not enough room to place a bolt behind it. I am big on following instructions but none were offered. They do have a note on their website stating "Camper configurations will differ, some modifications may be needed depending on camper options." but my camper is about as standard as they come - a shell with nothing.

I am going to reach out to Das Mule and ask them if I am doing something wrong, have unusually high expectations for the price I paid, or maybe they have a solution. These are the only accessories I have purchased in the past few years that have been so wrong.

Last edited:

wicked1

Are the differences in the brackets, or on the camper? Like, maybe the jack attachment locations you're using on the camper itself are a little different between the sides.
Can you take them off and set them side by side, or measure?
If they're crooked, you have to expect the holes on the brackets to be drilled crooked (not in a straight line). If all the holes on both brackets are exactly the same, are exactly lined up, bent at 90 degrees, etc, I don't think you can blame them.

ramblinChet

I called Das Mule and spoke with a representative who was very nice, asked many questions, etc. I sent over the same pictures and am awaiting his reply.

I took everything apart and measured again - even swapped brackets between sides by hanging them "backwards." The Four Wheel Camper brackets are perfectly straight. The problem with the drivers side is that the solar plug connector sticks out from the back of the truck and forces the bracket to set at this odd angle. Again, the solar plug connector has been standard since January 2015 - the design should accommodate this plug. And why wouldn't they just offer a cut out in this area anyway so the plug can still be used? And they are a FWC dealer so they have countless samples to test and have better access than most regarding communications with FWC.

Once I hear back from Das Mule I will update this post. I must resolve this within the next few days so I can carry my extra fuel on my upcoming trip.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

On a good note, Mule has been quick to respond via phone and email. Although not the reply I would have liked - it was disappointing to receive about what I expected. Here is a reply I received from them earlier today:

Right side looks about like what I would expect. I'd bolt your accessory on, pull a rubber stopper in place between the bracket and camper, and bolt things on. Left side looks like it's going to need a hole to clear the solar plug unfortunately. We can arrange returns if needed. You could also use washers to space out the driver side plate to clear the solar plug. That's about all I can think of to solve the issues you're having in a short time period.

Here is my reply:

I was thinking along the lines of spacers too. I do appreciate your quick and informative replies but must admit - I am very disappointed in your companies inability to prevent a problem like this from occurring. My camper is a normal FWC and there is nothing special regarding the jack brackets. This is poor design.

In my estimation, with two additional vertical bends and maybe one more cut the bracket could have easily been "moved out" approximately 3/8" while still attaching directly to the jack bracket with no spacer being required. This would have easily cleared the solar connector which has been standard since 2015. It would have also left room for the heads of bolts to pass through on the backside with no worry regarding contacting the FWC skin.

One more - if the solar panel connector is standard, why do you not have a hole already punched to allow access to it?

Again, I judged the bracket by how it looked, and it looked good. Regarding how it performs, it's a poor design that requires modification before being used.

Thanks for the offer to return also but as we discussed previously - I am pressed for time. I need to find some spacers now and have them overnighted...

No mention, no cut out in their design, no pictures on their product page, etc. If these plates were $19.95 each and made in China, I would not be quite as disappointed. But at $130 each and the fact that the shop is also a FWC authorized dealer - that's unsatisfactory.

I followed up over the phone, offered a few suggestions, and with no other option available - purchased spacers I had already been preparing to order:

spacers.jpg

Last edited:

The salt

ADVNTR
Gotta be honest…. It’s not the Mule product. I’ve been fashioning brackets to my jack stands brackets as well and there are so many variables on the campers, especially where you are covering over your plug in. Sounds like some spacers and longer bolts is what you need. Are they expensive, yeah… but they look like they are a good product with good customer support. Hopefully you can get them to work for you.

The salt

ADVNTR
Depending on what you end up putting on the brackets, fuel or accessories… you could always fab something yourself. I bought a hi-lift jack mount for a JK Jeep and drilled it to fit.
4CF8BA92-F39F-4192-BCE8-855FD3F2DFC3.jpeg4DF4328D-58DE-479E-A833-4CD8925CC06E.jpeg735A08A2-F058-4EA0-B2D8-3EECA6BBB24F.jpeg

CFMGarage

Depending on what you end up putting on the brackets, fuel or accessories… you could always fab something yourself. I bought a hi-lift jack mount for a JK Jeep and drilled it to fit.

This is a nice mount and simple solution, but what do you use the Hi-lift for on your rig?

The salt

ADVNTR
Recovery in a pinch, but hopefully I never have to use it. I have a hitch front and back I could use it for to lift either the front or back of the rig or use it as a come-along with my other recovery gear. I had it on my jeep for years and never had to use it. I figure when I stop packing it, that’s when I’ll need it and if I pack it, I’ll hopefully never need it. At least mounted it’s up off the bed of the truck, not banging around.

Superduty

Adventurer
Recovery in a pinch, but hopefully I never have to use it. I have a hitch front and back I could use it for to lift either the front or back of the rig or use it as a come-along with my other recovery gear. I had it on my jeep for years and never had to use it. I figure when I stop packing it, that’s when I’ll need it and if I pack it, I’ll hopefully never need it. At least mounted it’s up off the bed of the truck, not banging around.
Carried a high lift for 25 yrs, used it once. Stopped carrying it about 10 yrs ago.... Haven't needed it since. Hope i don't jinx myself.

I hope you are able to come up with a satisfactory solution before your trip. I agree with you, that for the price of those brackets, they should come with all hardware to make it a simple bolt on job and they should sit straight.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ramblinChet

Gotta be honest…. It’s not the Mule product. I’ve been fashioning brackets to my jack stands brackets as well and there are so many variables on the campers, especially where you are covering over your plug in. Sounds like some spacers and longer bolts is what you need. Are they expensive, yeah… but they look like they are a good product with good customer support. Hopefully you can get them to work for you.

I respectfully disagree. Unless someone can provide ample evidence that FWC has been making significant changes to their jack stand brackets in the past five years I just don't believe it. Considering that FWC has been building campers since the early 70s and jack stands are not rocket science, I don't see the need for major revisions to an already simple and proven design. Now, I may be wrong and that's fine. But pictures and measurements are worth a thousand words.

In this case - I blame it on Mule Expedition Outfitters. They make pretty parts...that don't work.

ramblinChet

Spacers arrived and brackets installed - my 20 L Wehrmacht Einheitskanister fit nicely.

Here is an example of one spacer installed.
2022-09-27_19.57.45.jpeg

Can on starboard side.
2022-09-27_19.56.00.jpeg

Bracket spaced away from FWC permitting bolts to clear.
2022-09-27_19.56.31.jpeg

Bracket attached to camper.
2022-09-27_19.57.03.jpeg

Shot from abeam.
2022-09-27_19.57.22.jpeg

Solar connector clears with 1/8" to spare.
2022-09-27_19.58.20.jpeg

An extra 40 L of fuel just in case.
2022-09-27_19.54.55.jpeg

georgeofthedesert

@ramblinChet what spacers did you use? I have the left side bracket coming at some point this week and just noticed this thread. I assume I'm going to have the same issue since that is the side with the solar plug. The right side was on back order and they didn't know when the next order was going to come in. So I pulled the trigger on the left side for the same jerry can setup for a trip coming up in the next two weeks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier