MudTech 4x4 17" Wheel Kit for LR4

Avslash

Observer
17" Wheel Kit for LR4

While looking around for information on the LLAMS and possible alternatives, I came across this from Mudtech, who also makes a suspension controller somewhat similar to the LLAMS. I must say 265/70R17's in a true mud terrain tire seem pretty enticing for my LR4.

I was wondering if anyone had used this kit, or previously researched it and might be able to share any information.

It looks to only include the parts needed for the front axle, so it would need to be confirmed whether the factory rear brake setup would work with 17" wheels, or whether something like V6 sized brakes from an LR3 could be used. Likewise for what 17" wheels might work. Mudtech makes a 17" wheel, but the images of the truck on their website appear to show a different wheel being used. Interestingly, they also appear to make a 18" alternative to the Compomotive wheel for use on the LR4.

I have emailed the company seeking answers to the above questions, and confirmation that the kit would work with a North American spec 5.0L LR4, but haven't received a response yet.

As a last resort, do we have a member here who speaks fluent Italian that might be willing to make a phone call?

Interested in any thoughts anyone has.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Google translate is your friend for email communication. I use it to talk to discovery parts in Germany although you will find most European companies speak English so I wouldn’t worry about the communication part.

I believe their 17” wheel is the same one I have that is actually made in Australia. I have it on my page and have one wheel in my garage pending on if I will buy four more to get this search for alternate aluminum wheels over. Lol

Let me do some further research as I might be able to help. I have 17” in my LR3 now and so do a few others. I believe you would still need a spacer regardless for the LR4 unless you change all the brake parts; or so I heard from Bubbas at Discovery Parts.

Last edited:

Avslash

Observer
Google translate is your friend for email communication. I use it to talk to discovery parts in Germany although you will find most European companies speak English so I wouldn’t worry about the communication part.

I believe their 17” wheel is the same one I have that is actually made in Australia. I have it on my page and have one wheel in my garage pending on if I will buy four more to get this search for alternate aluminum wheels over. Lol

Let me do some further research as I might be able to help. I have 17” in my LR3 now and so do a few others. I believe you would still need a spacer regardless for the LR4 unless you change all the brake parts; or so I heard from Bubbas at Discovery Parts.

I believe you are absolutely correct on the necessity of changing the brake parts to fit a 17" wheel to an LR4 5.0L.

What I have traditionally heard/read, is that it was not possible to fit an LR4 with 17" wheels due to the brake size, and some unspecified differences that would not allow v6 sized LR3 brakes to be fitted. I have no idea if any, all or most of that statement is in fact true, as I can't find anyone who has ever attempted it. This kit is the first thing I have ever seen that purports to make it a possibility.

My working theory would be to use this kit to adapt the front brakes on the LR4 if I can confirm it would work on a NAS 5.0L, and then determine whether rear V6 sized rotor/caliper/caliper carriers from an LR3 could be installed to take care of the rear.

I was getting ready to order a set of 18" Compomotive's to replace my factory 18" LR3 wheel/spacer combination, when I came across this. If I can confirm a 17" wheel/brake combination that will work on the LR4 without spacers, I would much rather go that route, though.

If I don't receive an email reply, I will try giving them a call tomorrow and post any information received here. I would think there might be a couple other people out there who might be interested in this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles