MTN Bike set-up for Hunting

upnorthX

Does anyone have a bike set up specifically for hunting?
Its a great way to gain access to areas gated for motorized vehicles and quiet, curious on set ups. Thanks

762X39

Explorer
A very cool question. I have been thinking of using my mtb for upland game for a couple of years but haven't tried it yet. I was thinking of an Eberlestock pack (the small one) to carry my shotgun and kit and leaving the bike pretty much unadorned. I have noticed that the atv riders are having much less luck up in the temagami area but I see lots of birds about 3 metres in while walking the trails and logging roads.:coffee:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
TB41-2.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I'd go with a backpack like 762x39 mentions, I think ultimately you'll be on foot quite a bit and just using the bike to eat up dirt road miles.

Otherwise maybe a scabbard? This way would be too floppy, but mounting it on the rack I think would be pretty stable and work well.

bike2-2.jpg

Here's a guy who rigged up a mount for a bow, but you can see the possibilities with a rifle.

http://www.montanascabbards.com/2011/08/hey-guys-check-out-the-bowgun-carry-by-montana-scabbard/

Here-is-the-set-up.jpg

You could go with a modification of how ATVs do it.

MtBike.jpg

I've seen people rig up some crazy stuff to BOB trailers, not just hunters but guys toting kegs around, landscaping, all sorts of things.

bikebullbike1.jpg

762X39

Explorer
There are some nice ideas here.
x3MC sm.jpg
This is the pack I had in mind, should let me carry enough kit to be fine for a day out. Maybe add a folding basket to the rear rack to carry birds.Now that I look at it, I think I'll have to go with a scabbard because the barrel pouch hangs too low. :coffee:

upnorthX

I have seen the atv handlebar mounts for bow and gun, I really like the idea of being able to gain access to areas that you normally take an hour to walk to. It's a great ride plus you get into some new areas. I could see where a Fat Bike in winter would be fun

Navman

Adventurer
I've been thinking of using a fat tire bike, and pulling a BOB trailer. Or, figuring out a cool way to mount a gun/bow on it. The fat tires would have a big advantage if you have to go through snow.

Fatboy.jpg

libarata

Expedition Leader
2inch tires never failed me in years of biking year round in Northern Wisconsin. Use the saved money from the bike frame, and purchase/fabricate a trailer. When biking, you do not want all of your weight on your back, as it throws you off, and lengthens your breaking distance. Look into the bikepacking threads for frame mounts. If you plan on hauling more than 20 pounds around, you are going to want to heavily modify your gearing to make towing much easier.

98xjaz

I did this once. Thought it would be great to ride into a non-ohv area and get an upper hand on the hikers. It worked out great, until I shot a buck. I didn't have a problem packing all my gear and my rifle on the bike. Just had a problem with the critter. I ended up walking out with the deer over my shoulders and pushing my bike. Not terrible, just felt like I should have been more prepared.
I would recommend a BOB trailer or a fat cargo bike like the "chupacabra"

Cogburn Outdoors

Pedal Driven. Nature Fed
Cogburn is exactly what you are looking for! Here is a photo of my set up for a multi day mule deer hunt last fall. Be sure to also check out our facebook page for more photos, stories, and tips. If you have any questions about using your bike in the field for fur, fin or feather, please don't hesitate to contact us. With spring turkey and trout seasons right around the corner now is the perfect time to get your rig set up for 2015.

bobby_muley.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles