Mt Shavano, Colorado

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Had an early morning start yesterday to hike Mt Shavano here in Colorado. The hike was mostly uneventful till reaching roughly 13,000 ft when the wind started to pick up till reaching the summit around 14.2k' (felt like walking like / and \ or getting pushed over by the wind at times). I had planned on hiking to the summit of Mt. Tabeguache since it was only a mile from the summit of Mt Shavano but because of the wind I opted not to, didn't really bother me though I was happy with the hike to the summit of Mt. Shavano.

Smokey view on the trail

Heading up the trail

Hiking up the saddle, the wind here was crazy and caused me some problems but I was laughing and enjoying it though.

Ducked behind some rocks here to secure my hat and grabbed a quick photo looking towards the north.

View of the backside of Mt Antero from the summit of Mt. Shavano.

Smokey view of the southern mountains, I think its Pahlone Peak.

View of the summit heading back down the trail.

Parting view of Mt. Shavano

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I just did my first 14er last week: the Uncompahgre. At my age it was a real adventure. I’ve said it was both my first and last 14er. One of those bucket list items. But I’m hankering to do some lesser peaks that don’t require all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did my first 14er last week: the Uncompahgre. At my age it was a real adventure. I’ve said it was both my first and last 14er. One of those bucket list items. But I’m hankering to do some lesser peaks that don’t require all day.

For that, I highly recommend Colorado's many 13ers. They are just as scenic and fun, many are just as challenging hikes (though many aren't, if that's your preference), but more importantly, they are MUCH less crowded than the 14ers.

Dances with Wolves

aka jk240sx

Very cool! I did that hike in '93 when I was 32. It would be quite a challenge 27 years later at 59. Impressive feat!

I drove up a trail up to Mt. Shavano many years ago. There was an old abandoned cabin somewhere up near the top. I wonder if it still exists? A friend and I went to a lower elevation and camped out at campsite just off the trail for the night. Nice Pictures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles