Mstudt's 01 Toyota 4runner SR5

MStudt

Adventurer
The metal frame is complete, and painted. This ended up taking a bit longer than I had hoped, and that was do to running out of wire for my welder. As of now the welding is completed, but the wood portion will have to wait. The 4runner is now loaded up with our load to clear out the house. Come Sunday will be working from the inlaw's shop until everything is finished.

20170629_181659_zpsf9frsv1x.jpg

20170629_181703_zpsq3piuwkn.jpg

20170629_181642_zpsog7gavfl.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
Looks like I'll be starting over right here due to Photobucket issues.

With the recent events, and deciding to take the 4runner on our upcoming adventure we decided to update it some. First thing was building a new platform to allow for more storage space.

Metal Framing
xKcGMU.jpg

cSm938.jpg

v055yi.jpg

PwbMvN.jpg

Finished Platform
gbvKFv.jpg

LyGqe3.jpg

pBDLE3.jpg

5Bj4Oe.jpg

3igmGJ.jpg

UFgJcy.jpg

loMD9G.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
The platform is 72" in length, and weighs about 110lbs empty. The rear drawers are both 34" in length, and pull out 28". The front has two flip up lids, two small side boxes, and two 1 gallon Rotopax under the front lip.

Today I'll be moving onto removing the rear bumper, and getting to work on the rear axle, I found out last night that I have a leaking axle, and need to replace 1 axle seal I also need to replace the drum brakes. At the same time I'll need to remove the rear bumper since my new 4xInnovations bump will be here tomorrow.

With everything moving along nicely we're aiming at being on the road next week. We still don't have much of an idea on where we're going besides Colorado, or how much time we'll have. What started off as a 1-2 year trip might only end up being a 1 month trip. We may be relocating to Oregon by mid August, and we should know that by the end of the week.

MStudt

Adventurer
Today I was able to get rear end prepped for the new bumper. Getting the old bumper off was pretty easy with the exception of one bolt. I was also able to clean up the frame, and get it painted. In addition to that I was able to address the leaking rear axle, and get the driver side pulled apart.

WTzufx.jpg

Pqmvta.jpg

9agEq5.jpg

While I'm working on the driver side of the axle I might tackle the passenger side as well. I'm not sure if I'll be able to find these parts locally or not so this project may have to wait for a few days.

MStudt

Adventurer
We had quite a bit delivered yesterday, and now have even more to get done. I should have the bearings for the rear shafts tomorrow, and will drop those off on Saturday to get pressed in. I'm hoping to have them back on Monday, and if that's the case I'll also get the rear brakes installed.

Yesterday our new bumper, tires, and springs showed up.

7A6AEL.jpg

gLPZbo.jpg

WrVGnn.jpg

8446HY.jpg

e4D1hp.jpg

MStudt

Adventurer
So, things have changed again. On Friday we'll be starting our 4 week adventure to Oregon. We need to be in the Eugene area by the August 15th to find somewhere to live by the 20th, and start work on the 21st.

I'll have some vehicle updates a little later.

MStudt

Adventurer
Over the last week we've done an overhaul on the 4runner. We started with cleaning up, and painting the entire frame including the gas tank skid. Next we paint the old 4xInnovations front bumper at the same time we painted the new 4xInnovations rear bumper. We'll we worked on the bumpers I pulled both rear shafts, ordered parts, and took them to a machine shop for new bearings to be installed. Once those were back we install new drums and shoes, and bled all four corners. Next was installing some CaliRaised LED pods on CBI ditch light brackets. Next came installing our ARB compressor, Blue Sea fuse, Blue Sea breaker, and switch on aluminum panel I made. Last night we finished the suspension by adding some Toytec Superflex springs, and today we finished with installing the bumpers.

Here's what I remembered to take pictures of along the way.

The newly painted frame. While we couldn't get everything we did the best we could given the time frame. We spend a good 8 hours wire wheeling, chipping, cleaning, and painting everything.
VrveEA.jpg

6RpVq4.jpg

Next was installing the new bumpers. Both were painted with Herculiner due to availability to us, durability, and cost. The rear bumper has the optional fold down cooking tray.
ckV2Ka.jpg

iEY2SX.jpg

QjAjkp.jpg

Here's the fuse panel setup that we mounted to the driver side fender.
dT4DJK.jpg

Here's the ARB compressor mounted to the passenger side wheel well.
J5mYP1.jpg

I still need to put my RCI skids back on, swap the jerry can holder, mount the propane tank, put the shower on the roof, and pack. These plus more need to be done by noon on Friday.

Reactions: bkg

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks pretty awesome your heading up to Oregon! Truck looks great and your to-do list is impressive. We will have to meet up sometime... now that I've also moved we won't be too far away!

Cheers

MCObray

Explorer
So, things have changed again. On Friday we'll be starting our 4 week adventure to Oregon. We need to be in the Eugene area by the August 15th to find somewhere to live by the 20th, and start work on the 21st.

I'll have some vehicle updates a little later.

If you're ever around the Salem area, just let me know... Enjoy the adventure getting here!

MStudt

Adventurer
Thanks pretty awesome your heading up to Oregon! Truck looks great and your to-do list is impressive. We will have to meet up sometime... now that I've also moved we won't be too far away!

Cheers

I can't believe I've been away from this thread for so long. We're in the Eugene OR area now if you're ever down this way.

Mike

If you're ever around the Salem area, just let me know... Enjoy the adventure getting here!

Up that way quite a bit since my brother lives in Salem. We're in the area every couple months at least.

Mike

MStudt

Adventurer
I know the trip report is a couple years pass due, but I might as well try to keep it up to date.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a long couple weeks we've starting to get settled into our new location. That also gave me a little time to get some of our pictures uploaded to share. Here's a brief look at some of the things that we were able to see along the way. There were a couple days that we didn't take on any photos on, and that was from Montana/Idaho board to Idaho/Washington board into the Gorge.

The SuperFlex springs didn't like the weight we were carrying, and we limped to Washington with the bump stops around an inch from the axle.

Missouri

Colorado

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz