MRAP wheels on a RAM 5500? Mismatched track front to back?

I've been on the fence about buying a super single setup for my RAM 5500. Found a pretty good deal on Hutchinson Aluminum wheels that come with the proper adapters for my 5500. My question is regarding the track widths. I did some quick math with numbers from the RAM sales brochure and I must be missing something. It seems that if I were to run the MRAPs in standard configuration the track width would be much wider in the back than in the front.

java

Expedition Leader
I've been on the fence about buying a super single setup for my RAM 5500. Found a pretty good deal on Hutchinson Aluminum wheels that come with the proper adapters for my 5500. My question is regarding the track widths. I did some quick math with numbers from the RAM sales brochure and I must be missing something. It seems that if I were to run the MRAPs in standard configuration the track width would be much wider in the back than in the front.
You have to bolt the adapter to the other side of the rim. It moves it over about an inch to an inch and a half if I am remembering my numbers correctly

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You have to bolt the adapter to the other side of the rim. It moves it over about an inch to an inch and a half if I am remembering my numbers correctly

Thats kind of what I was thinking. With the adapters in the correct configuration it would push the front wheels out and pull the rear wheels in. I'm assuming at that point the track widths would be at the very least "close enough"

java

Expedition Leader
Thats kind of what I was thinking. With the adapters in the correct configuration it would push the front wheels out and pull the rear wheels in. I'm assuming at that point the track widths would be at the very least "close enough"
Yeah..... Close ish

Yeah..... Close ish

is the slightly different track width ever really a problem? My main "offroad" use would be soft sand beaches where cars make ruts all day so I was concerned about the different track widths act weird within those established "ruts".

java

Expedition Leader
is the slightly different track width ever really a problem? My main "offroad" use would be soft sand beaches where cars make ruts all day so I was concerned about the different track widths act weird within those established "ruts".
It may wander a bit. The downside is the rear tires won't track in the front ruts. Figure out how far off it is.... Mine is about 3/4" per side iirc (different wheels)

It may wander a bit. The downside is the rear tires won't track in the front ruts. Figure out how far off it is.... Mine is about 3/4" per side iirc (different wheels)

Any reason you dont run spacers on the front wheels?

java

Expedition Leader
Any reason you dont run spacers on the front wheels?
I don't want them poked out any more, and I like my wheel bearings, and dislike spacers on a heavy truck.

It may be less than 3/4 too. It's not much

I don't want them poked out any more, and I like my wheel bearings, and dislike spacers on a heavy truck.

It may be less than 3/4 too. It's not much

Good to know, thank you. 3/4 shouldnt be an issue on the sand. Are you running hutchinson MRAPs on your current rig?

No personal experience, but haven't heard anything bad about these folks. (As opposed to certain others.)

Offered what what it may be worth.

Super Single Wheel Conversion Kit Convert Dually DRW | Buckstop Truckware (buckstopinc.com)
I've heard good things about the buckstop setup but that route is much more expensive and theyre single piece wheels which doesn't give you the ability to swap a tire on the side of the road. Which certainly isn't something I ever want to do but it seems most people with serious miles under their expedition vehicles suggest bringing a pre assembled spare tire as well as 6th empty spare tire, so in the event of a flat you can use the preassemble #5 unit to quick swap and then use the 6th empty tire to replace the flat tire at your next stop.

I personally dont see a ton of benefits going the buckstop route, besides maybe aesthetics because the MRAP wheels end up with 3 different sets of hardware on them.

java

Expedition Leader
Good to know, thank you. 3/4 shouldnt be an issue on the sand. Are you running hutchinson MRAPs on your current rig?
No they are Hutchinson 19.5 wheel for the 550/5500 platforms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior