Mr. Leary's 3rd gen 4runner

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I decided against pulling down any more limbs with my "tree catcher."

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
A couple of questions for you guys:

Truck weighs in at around 5000 lbs right now. When mods are done it will be closer to 5300.

Need more power, but will be pulling a camping trailer at some point ~1500lbs. and not sure if I want to keep it running slower so I can tow with OD off. Originally planning on 4.56, but now I'm second guessing.

I drive like grandma. Usually 65 or less.

This will happen down the road a ways...

Next question:

What is the difference between the euro beams and the flood beams on vision x xmitter light bars? Looking to pull the trigger on this today so haste is appreciated.

Last edited:
As it pertains to the VisionX lights in particular, I dont know... but....
beam_patterns.jpg

SDB210Line.gif

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
You may want to re-visit how much weight your 4Runner can handle. According to the below article, the curb weight is 3,975 lb. and the gross vehicle weight rating is 5,250 lbs. Maybe these numbers are wrong and someone can correct me??? I have a 3rd gen and have wondered about maximum weight limits.

http://www.trucktrend.com/2001/99/toyota/4runner/limited-sport-utility/991/specs.html

I think most folks on here are pushing their GMWR. On the 3rd gens... the suspension and brakes need to be upgraded for heavier duty applications. Once you do that... you can start working on getting the power back. Also, don't go crazy with stacking weight on the front end, or you will chew wheel bearings. The rear needs some beef, but can carry a lot when upgraded.

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
So I got my Tundra 231mm calipers in... gonna pick up the rotors, pads, and some other stuff tomorrow.

I also have a bunch of other things coming. I ordered a scan guage, a rear view mirror with temp guage and compass, and 4 4" XMitter lights. I may add two more if they don't fill up the front of the roof rack enough.

Roof rack design complete. Keeps getting pushed back, but construction will hopefully begin next week. It will be cool...

I'll post up pics as stuff gets done.

Mike finally got all of the parts to do the Tundra caliper/rotor swap. Bolted right up, and for a substantial beefyness gain! Only Kustom modification required was the trimming of the dust/disc shield.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Da Brakes!

Size Comparison
IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

IMG_1312.jpg

Da trimming
IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

Had to borrow The_Mrs. adventure hat... it was getting chilly.
IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Da Brakes (cont'd)

IMG_1324.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1334.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg

IMG_1336.jpg

So there is definitely an increase in braking power. Heat fade is not an issue anymore. The one thing I have noticed is the brake pedal response is a little slower, which would seem to make sense having to move more fluid. I am happy with the upgrade so far and things are getting better as they settle in. Its starting to feel like the truck wants to stand up on its nose. :)

So all in all, for the ease of the upgrade, I don't see why more people haven't done this.

1. Buy new hotness.
2. Take off old and busted.
3. Trim dust cover.
4. Install new hotness.
5. Bleed brakes.
6. Drive.

Took a few hours. Easy, bolt up, with the addition of lock washers to secure the caliper (Thanks Bones!). Easy.

New brakes clear the Dallas bling wheels with plenty of room to spare! No grinding / adjustment. Stock wheels would have had to have been ground down for the aditional few mm needed in clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles