Mr. Leary's 3rd gen 4runner

New power steering rack is in. Nightmare.

Horray for great friends. Never would have got it done by myself.

Thanks LaOutbackTrail and Bones for all your help.

I was wondering if you managed to get it back in yesterday. Did you find the replacement hose or were you able to get it threaded back in?

SamSter0077

Observer
Well... everyone else had decided to take the bypass around the "pit of despair." :sombrero:

The bypass was tight and in a moment of questionable judgement, I decided to try to plow on through the mud hole. I didn't walk it first... if I had, I would have got a running start at it... and now my truck has "the funk!"

I find that I often make mistakes when I let my cajones do the thinking for me! :costumed-smiley-007

The biggest mistake I made was opening the door to get out of the truck to assess the situation. Open door... in comes water... truck starts sinking... "Scott, get the kinetic strap quick"... "whatever, I'll break out the winch"... "okay, he's back with the strap"... "Hey Mike, come pull my lame #%! out of here!"

Funny thing was hearing TheBlackSheep recall the banter over the CB while this was going on:

"Looks like a bad hole, everyone should take the bypass, but bigger trucks and those with trailers may not be able to make it around the hole" - Someone in one of the front groups

"Leary to group... I'm going through the mud hole" - Me (Sounding excited and pumped up)

about 5 seconds later...

"Leary to group... I'm stuck in the mudhole!" - Me (Sounding utterly deflated)

:coffeedrink:

Great Story, had a similar situation myself just last weekend. Time for Herculiner.. are you taking the carpet out Leary?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I would recommend sticking with the stock alternator. I am running my replacement that I bought on the Ouachita trip and have my stock alternator in my spares bin. If I have time someday in the future, I may make a bracket and add a second alternator up near the hood. Of course that takes time... a commodity that I am very short of at present.

I have heard of folks using beefier alternators off of newer models, but have yet to find it in a build thread.

EDIT: I have not thought through a second alternator and what it would take... I just know that power generators run multiple alternators, so it can be done. I am unfortunately getting close to the line in terms of pwer generation myself... my current philosophy is try to conserve useage where convenient and charge multiple batteries so I can have more to draw on when the truck isn't running. I'm thinking eventually 2 in the trailer in addition to the 2 I have in the truck.

Does a Mean Green not work on your truck?

http://www.mean-green.com/

or better yet how about this....

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/

A second alt could be a bit complicated. Special pulley needed, mounting bracket fabb'ed, special belt, ect. I can only see a need or use for a 2nd alt if you a running a huge winch and winch a lot.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
or better yet how about this....

http://www.premierpowerwelder.com/

A second alt could be a bit complicated. Special pulley needed, mounting bracket fabb'ed, special belt, ect. I can only see a need or use for a 2nd alt if you a running a huge winch and winch a lot.

If I end up making another pass at a beefier alternator, thats exactly what I'll put in there. Those things are cool, but $$$, especially at the rate that I'm seeing these things peter out. Right now I'm just fed up with changing them, had to lend my spare to thughes on the last trip. Maybe a relocation rather than a second alternator would be a better idea. They just don't hold up to those river crossings! The Toyota ones do better than most, but one of those got fried last trip as well!

RSB

Adventurer
based on my research, I think I'd prefer dual Denso's over something aftermarket, despite the work involved. This includes the Mean Greens. Their engineers confirmed to me their alternators are extra sensitive to water as well.. :(

These Denso's man. They're practically bullet-proof!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I heard something somewhere about Sequoia alternators, but have not confirmed whether they can be made to fit on these little trucks. I believe they are 140 amp.

Desp

What amp alt does it have stock? I know my '95 4runner had a 60 amp stock and it was so weak my electric fan conversion would out draw it alone. I replaced it with a 140 amp out of a chevy I think it was... ~$170 from autozone with life time warranty. It's a GM CS144 alternator. When looking at getting more amps out of the stock one it can be rebuilt, but it doesn't really change the idle amp output, and when you start pushing a lot of amps out of the stock one it over heats. the CS144 is a beast compared to the stock one.

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
What, my face or the truck?

You have the pics, bro. I didn't take any... it will make it easier to forget about the fiasco later!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke