MPT81 on ice..

Robthebrit

Explorer
If anybody is using the MPT81's for the earth roamer you might want to consider getting them siped if you are going to drive on ice/frozen packed snow. I did the ones on my mog and its like having a different tire.

MPT81's work ok in snow but you get them on solid ice and all bets are off. We have about a foot of frozen packed snow on our road (15% grade) and it really is slick, I took the 421 mog out, without chains, and it might as well have been on castors instead of wheels, I was going sideways and backwards and all sorts. Forward traction was ok, not great, but any kind of side load from cornering and/or braking and they just let go.

I was going to use maxigrip removable studs but you can't get them in the US (they are looking for distributors if any of you guys with outlets are interested) so I had them deep siped and its a night and day difference, you have to really try to get it to skid. For something like an earth roamer you might want them siped to a normal depth otherwise they will wear out fast on the road.

As a side note: The wife has a Subaru with Blizzaks and it never skids or slips.

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online