MPG: Ranger vs F150

Chorky

Observer
While I have not owned both...I'm pretty sure that they will be really close.

Dollar for dollar the F150 is a better value.
Interesting - i just saw a cost comparison couple days ago that actually showed the Ranger as the better value. It came out to something like 25 bucks cheaper per hp/tq than the 150 I believe....

Towing that with a ranger would be very silly.

I had the 2.7 in my old F150 and with a heavy foot I still had 20 MPG. In tow mode one time from San Diego to Northern AZ I was getting 28MPG towing a Uhaul
Why? Curious. Its rated at 7500. Maybe maxing it out isnt's so good... but a 4,000 lb boat with a few hundred pounds of gear in the bed doesnt seem like its pushing the envelope - seems like thats about the perfect amount for a smaller truck.

D

Deleted member 9101

Interesting - i just saw a cost comparison couple days ago that actually showed the Ranger as the better value. It came out to something like 25 bucks cheaper per hp/tq than the 150 I believe....

Why? Curious. Its rated at 7500. Maybe maxing it out isnt's so good... but a 4,000 lb boat with a few hundred pounds of gear in the bed doesnt seem like its pushing the envelope - seems like thats about the perfect amount for a smaller truck.

The F150 comes with much deeper discounts. They don't wiggle nearly as much on the price on the Ranger. At the end of the day, they are really close in price. The F150 is rated to do everything better and the 2.7 F150 gets similar MPG while offering a big bump in performance.

4k behind a Ranger is going to be much more noticable behind a Ranger than the F150...lol.

Chorky

Observer
True. However, cost also goes up with a 150 - and its also a full size I believe. Its a challenge for sure. because it is easy to get into that old trap of "oh its just a little more, oh this is even just a tad bit more.." next thing you know your back in a full size diesel. But, its a good thought.

billiebob

So what do you need? An F150 definitely has more capacity. Do you need that? A Ranger is more compact, is that a goal? MPG ?? If MPG is the focus and F150 vs Ranger are the choices, the real world diffrences cannot be measured. IF MPG is the issue, do not buy a pickup. Learn to hyper mile drive. Take off yer shoes.

Soo many factors go into MPG. If MPG are a factor do not lift it, keep the stock tires, do not add an RTT, do not add a winch bumper, ....... drive slower. F150, Ranger, Taco, F250, Wrangler, diesel/gas........ First pick the vehicle you NEED to do what you WANT. Then drive accordingly....... Learn to hyper mile and take off yer shoes.

billiebob

How do you Americans get such high fuel economy in the F150? Especially considering your tiny gallons and especially extra especially considering your 70-90 mph highways??? Do you all have 3.31 gearing?

If I run a couple hundred kms at 100 kph so let's say 125 miles at 60 mph, I'll be excited to see 20 miles per US gallon.
yep, 100%.

On that tho, my TJR on 33/10.50R15s got a best of 17mpg. A change to super skinny 7.50R16s bumped me to 22mpg. No other change, just lighter, skinnier easier rolling tires. But I agree, I'm kinda skeptical of some of the mileage numbers I see.

7.50R16s vs 245/75R16, stock Rubicon tires. best tire change ever. Best gas mileage ever.

IMG_0453.jpeg

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader

When it comes to towing I don't think it's a smart idea to have a smaller truck do it. Bigger is better for something like this. And If I remember correctly, the OP said the truck would be used mainly for towing. Maybe if its a small cargo trailer or a trailer from harbor freight the ranger would work. Anything larger than that and any real distance I don't feel is safe. The F-150 would just be a more solid and stable vehicle to choose.

Chorky

Observer
u need? An F150 definitely has more capacity. Do you need that? A Ranger is more compact, is that a goal? MPG ?? If MPG is the focus and F150 vs Ranger are the choices, the real world diffrences cannot be measured. IF MPG is the issue, do not buy a pickup. Learn to hyper mile drive. Take off yer shoes.

Reviving this thread in case the OP hasn't made a decision yet. This quote sums it up exactly. What you need, and what you realistically will actually do vs what your 'dream' is should be the choice maker. I was just in a discussion with my dad over the last several weeks about vehicles and helping him decide a future route to go. And what he decided just a few years ago (which is a different decision from a few years before that) was not the right decision after all. Of course he enjoyed his current vehicle, but soon it will be replaced with - guess what - a small mid sized truck or suv. So figuring out long and hard about what your true needs are I think is more important than all the other stuff.

skrypj

Reviving this thread in case the OP hasn't made a decision yet. This quote sums it up exactly. What you need, and what you realistically will actually do vs what your 'dream' is should be the choice maker. I was just in a discussion with my dad over the last several weeks about vehicles and helping him decide a future route to go. And what he decided just a few years ago (which is a different decision from a few years before that) was not the right decision after all. Of course he enjoyed his current vehicle, but soon it will be replaced with - guess what - a small mid sized truck or suv. So figuring out long and hard about what your true needs are I think is more important than all the other stuff.

What was his last vehicle?

The problem i have with mid-sized trucks is that its clear that the MFG’s are not 100% in. They have them because they don’t wanna lose sales to other MFG’s that have a mid-sized. There is no reason a mid sized truck should only get marginally better, or in the case the F150 2.7L, the same mpg while having much less power and capability.

Imagine if the Ranger had an aluminum body, weighed 4000 lbs, and the 2.7L in it. They might not sell any F150’s

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
Imagine if the Ranger had an aluminum body, weighed 4000 lbs, and the 2.7L in it. They might not sell any F150’s
emoji23.png
They would sell a ton of F150s because that Ranger would cost more than an F150?

Err

Observer
I'm building a Ranger as an expo/overland rig now. Stock, FX4 trim, I was seeing 21'ish at 75-80 MPH on the highway. Hard to complain too much about that. Now that I've added larger tires, a small amount of weight and more wind resistance, my MPG's are 16-17 at 70 MPH, dropping off to the 15-16 range at 75-80 MPH. But, if I find myself driving 70+ in the mountains, pushing a head wind, I drop to below 10. The truck has a ton of power and cruises along just fine but it stays in the boost non-stop under certain conditions and fuel economy plummets.

I'm hoping that gearing (when it becomes available) will help bring the MPG's up again. I don't commute and really only drive the rig for travel/adventure so fuel costs are not a primary concern but range is abysmal and as it stands I desperately need a long range fuel tank.

YMMV :D

Last edited:

rruff

Explorer
I'm building a Ranger as an expo/overland rig now. Stock, FX4 trim, I was seeing 21'ish at 75-80 MPH on the highway. Hard to complain too much about that. Now that I've added larger tires, a small amount of weight and more wind resistance, my MPG's are 16-17 at 70 MPH, dropping off to the 15-16 range at 75-80 MPH.

Wow, I'm amazed at the difference. I guess they did some aero and engine tuning magic in stock trim for good highway MPG... and then you messed it all up... o_O

I think my Tundra's mpg dropped a little at high speeds, but it's actually better at low speeds after I put big tires on it. Those are 35" Hankook ATMs, vs stock 32" Bridgestone street tires. What did you change the tires to?

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
We can not drive our ranger below 18l/100km mostly city traffic. Couple of things that bug me on it but overall a great vehicle.

about discounts when purchasing a truck: those times are long past!

Attachments

• A29522B0-3501-4123-9F40-7F0409CCCA5A.jpeg
    A29522B0-3501-4123-9F40-7F0409CCCA5A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 22

Err

Observer
Wow, I'm amazed at the difference. I guess they did some aero and engine tuning magic in stock trim for good highway MPG... and then you messed it all up... o_O

I think my Tundra's mpg dropped a little at high speeds, but it's actually better at low speeds after I put big tires on it. Those are 35" Hankook ATMs, vs stock 32" Bridgestone street tires. What did you change the tires to?

I just started a build thread to chronicle this somewhat ridiculous but darn fun project I've started. Rolling on 35's now...

Grassland

I just started a build thread to chronicle this somewhat ridiculous but darn fun project I've started. Rolling on 35's now...

That thread name tho ?

Reactions: Err

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles