MPG hit from installing Chief lower front guard?

kga1978

Hi all,

I’m planning on installing the Chief lower front guard once they’re back in stock, but I was wondering if any of you might know how much it’ll decrease my MPG if I leave the front fascia off? (vs. putting the fascia back on over the guard for normal driving - but then I have to remove it when going off reading).

Thanks in advance.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I drive with the fascia off on my WK2, 3.6L V6 all the time with just the Chief Lower Front guard showing, I think it looks way better, and I don't have to take fascia off whenever I get off road. The fascia is very big and bulky and takes up way too much valuable cargo area when stored.

Overall I did take a hit in MPG with my protection mods but I don't recall the Chiefs guard being too bad. I used to get 22mpg but after all the mods I am now in the 18 - 18.8mpg:

RRO - Super Rock Rails, WK2 Skid Plate Package,
Chief Products - WK2 Lower Front Guard, Transmission and Sump Protection Plate
Mopar Front Axle Guard and Transfer Case Guard

Losing 4 mpg is worth the convenience trade off for me and I drive alot, in 4.5 years I have put on 164,000 miles (36,444 miles per year), a lot on highway.

I can't remember how much each mod, including the Chiefs guard reduced MPG, but I do remember the two biggest mpg drags are not listed above, they are the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 - 275/55/20 tires I put on and believe it or not the cross bars for a never installed roof rack. The cross bars cut mpg so much I put a fairing on front bar but I don't really think it was much of a savings. I will take cross bars off one of these day, when I remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94