Moving from LR3 to RRS

rcharrette

Adventurer
Hi all, so we've got a lot of issues piling up on our LR3 right now, the primary one being the Air suspension. With close to 200K miles on it we are considering moving onto another vehicle. We've loved our LR3 and it has served us well for 6 years and over 170K miles that we've put on it.
The dealer I'm taking it to has a 2013 Range Rover Sport (V8) on the lot. It has 35K miles on it. Everything I'm reading about the RRS seems to be positive. The only consistent complaint I see is it has less cargo space than the LR3. I've seen several reports that people feel the RRS drives better both on and off road and the seating is more comfortable. So we are strongly considering this RRS. Any advice you would have for me in considering this? One of my big concerns is roof rack. I have a Yakima system on my LR3 right now. This RRS does not appear to have any factory rails or tracks from the pictures I see. I really need to get that rack up there or a suitable replacement as a LAST resort. What racks are people running on these? Is the Yakima system usable?
I assume it has the same engine/trans? It looks ta have the exact same HP as my LR3. We travel full time pulling a 27' Trailer which the LR3 handles fine. I assume this will to?
Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
A 2013 RRS will have the 5.0 V8 which is way more powerful than the 4.4 V8. I would be looking at LR4s if you love your LR3. Either will be an upgrade over the LR3.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply, we're going to test drive the Range Rover Sport tomorrow. Honestly a bit more power would be a welcome thing for pulling our camper! I've never sat in one so curious to see how it feels and drives. As long as it's not substantially smaller it would probably be fine as our camper holds most everything 99% of the times. We found 2 LR4's about 4hrs from where we are limping our LR3 in for diagnosis tomorrow. The are some V8 LR4's out there but not a lot. And to be perfectly honest this is our only vehicle pulling our "home" so if repair cost on the LR3 come high (which I expect) and with almost 200K miles we need to move fast to replace it. Whatever I get I will tack on a good extended warranty for sure! Did that with the LR3 and it paid for itself within the first year.

perkj

Explorer
One of the most useful things on the LR3/LR4 is the drop down tail gate on the rear which the RRS doesn't have.

rcharrette

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for your input. We ended up finding a great 2013 LR4 with 36K miles on it and picked it up today. It is a HSE with the HD package so we have the locking diff. I'll post pictures soon. Snowing is arriving here in Colorado tonight so maybe we'll have some fun tomorrow!

mti88m3

I've also been considering the move to a RRS, I'm interested to see how it works out for you!

JackW

Explorer
The 2013 RRS would have shorter wheelbase than the LR4 so it wouldn't be as good a tow vehicle. Good choice on the LR4!

rcharrette

Adventurer
The 2013 RRS would have shorter wheelbase than the LR4 so it wouldn't be as good a tow vehicle. Good choice on the LR4!

Thanks! I saw the RRS was 10” shorter and had the same concern about towing. We are super happy with the LR4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spikemd

Explorer
Genuine rails can be fitted to the RRS, but you made the right call with the LR4. Twice the cargo space and longer wheelbase. I prefer the driving position in the LR4/3 to the RRS as well. You are in more of the rover classic 'command' position, where in the sport you are lower more like a car. The overall feel is more cramped for me being over 6 feet in the RRS.

If the air suspension is giving you issues, you could have switched to coils, but air is best when towing since it compensates for the tongue weight.

I have heard of direct injection issues with the 5.0 and carbon buildup on the valves. Be sure you keep up on maintenance and good gas.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
I have heard of direct injection issues with the 5.0 and carbon buildup on the valves. Be sure you keep up on maintenance and good gas.

Carbon buildup on intake valves is an inherent problem with direct injection. However, I have never seen it cause a problem on a Land Rover with direct injection. Is this something you have seen?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles