Mounting to exterior of FWC?

SameGuy

Observer
How do people go about mounting things to the exterior of their FWC? I just picked up a Hawk Shell and was thinking it would be great to mount my Maxtrax, Trasharoo, possibly a couple jerry can mounts to the back or sides of the camper. I've looked at the Adventure Trailer jerry can mounts that utilize the jack brackets, that seems like a pretty good route to go for something so heavy. Screws, through bolts, other fastening options? Some sort of Molle panel would be great for flexibility.

Flhtruss

Observer
Hello SameGuy
I made a "L" bracket to hang our Trasharoo from. Bracket bolted to the back jack mounts. You would need to find the aluminum frame under the skin to mount to sides or rear, calling FWC might help with that. Sex bolts the right size if going thru the wall might help with not over tightening. Keep our tracks in the cab, and when if taken fuel just put in on the rear cargo carrier I made.
Use care not to hit electric lines.
Russ

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you can locate the internal aluminum square tubing to bolt through then you are golden. You can also drill through “hollow” areas and bolt through using washers on the exterior and interior to spread the load and a spacer in between to prevent crushing, for lighter items only. There is also a top plate that runs around the top lip of the lower body that you can attach through for heavier objects like awnings.

SameGuy

Observer
Thank you all for the info, gives me a great starting point.

craig333 Is the AT jack bracket just a piece of angle with holes in it, or is it more sophisticated than that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles