Mounting things on the rear ladder?

kodiak-black

Observer
What, if anything do you guys mount on the ladder? Trasharoo's, chairs, fuel, something heavier? What do you use to mount it? Straps, bungees, clamps? Looking for ideas.

kodiak-black

Observer
Wow I guess I thought there would be more given this is an Overland forum and folks are always looking to attach items to the outsides of their vehicles. Maybe not.

simple

Adventurer
This board has been fairly slow lately. I think it's a seasonal thing and I'm wondering as well if there is some post Covid RV boom project burnout.

I've seen lawn chairs, kids bikes and other various things going down the road strapped to ladders.

I think most camper ladders are sketchy at best. They are held on with a little butyl tape and a few wood screws. Like most RV's with wood frames, the screws start to loosen as the holes around them leak and wood starts to rot. I once parted out an Artic Fox to do a box van conversion and most of the screw fasteners on the outside were corroded to having about 20% left. I think they reacted with the glues in plywood. That is the PNW though.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I do not mount things to my ladder. It is access for my roof rack and I put things there. I have a swing away tire carrier that is a place for my trasharoo.

kodiak-black

Observer
This board has been fairly slow lately. I think it's a seasonal thing and I'm wondering as well if there is some post Covid RV boom project burnout.

I've seen lawn chairs, kids bikes and other various things going down the road strapped to ladders.

I think most camper ladders are sketchy at best. They are held on with a little butyl tape and a few wood screws. Like most RV's with wood frames, the screws start to loosen as the holes around them leak and wood starts to rot. I once parted out an Artic Fox to do a box van conversion and most of the screw fasteners on the outside were corroded to having about 20% left. I think they reacted with the glues in plywood. That is the PNW though.

I was really just considering lightweight items. Maybe a shovel, a holder for camp chairs, 2 gallon rotopax, etc. I figure the ladder is designed to hold at least a 200 lb. person while static. I figured it could support 50 lbs. dynamically. I was going to try to come up with something that ties in with the jack mount leg. Surely the jack mounts are strong.

GBGCR4x4

I occasionally just carry a Trasharoo knock-off on the ladder. Other than that I use it mostly for access to the rack, and when I'm out camping this means I go up and down a lot, so i try to keep it as clear as I can. However, I have considered getting some sort of custom made bracket to hold an axe on the side of the ladder.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Wow I guess I thought there would be more given this is an Overland forum and folks are always looking to attach items to the outsides of their vehicles. Maybe not.
I think part of the issue is camper type. Lots of trucks and vans here but not a lot of slide in campers. You (and I) use the ladder very occasionally for access to the roof for service or other rare events. So the ladder is mostly unused. Most people here probably keep it clear to use to access racks.

Having said that, I put a shovel and my honeypot on my ladder.

WanderingBison

Here’s what I’ve done with my ladder. It’s on a van and I do use the ladder regularly enough but at the same time, I was tired of getting the traction ladders from the inside of the van. So, I made a hinged mount for them on the ladder.

It makes sure the boards are easily accessible while being easy to get out of the way to use the ladder.

As a bonus, it’s an extra step to discourage someone walking by from climbing on the roof.

I’ve since had the whole mount powder coated black.

a99d5c51f05ec40205b29c8cc0f28051.jpeg

24bec33aa830a9f607046a8a2985a377.jpeg

7fe77b094e9c26140465fcc1c81323e8.jpeg

a7ce5dd63e10263a81f6b141b0b8f42f.jpeg

3f500d71896c1f15b9e084464a57093c.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles