Mounting skycamper 2.0 on JKU so you can still use the sun roofs

crofrog

I was curious if anyone has any thoughts on mounting a Skycamper 2.0 further back to allow visibility out of the sunroof panels still. It's on a JKU with a gobi rack?

Something like this
1608683123616.png

NatersXJ6

Explorer
You should be able to overhang the rear a bit, but double check any interference from the opening of the rear glass over the top edge of the Gobi or you will sign up for an eventual bad day. I can’t recall how much Overhang I had on my RTT, but I want to say it was at least 8 inches from the edge of the rack. How much do you need?

chacomaya

I have a JLU with a Gobi Stealth rack and a Skycamp, and I know that the rails on the bottom of the Skycamp will hit the FRONT of the rack, preventing it from sliding too far forward. However, the tubing on the front of the rack is raised up a bit, while the rear tubing on the rack sits a bit lower. Just eyeballing it, it looks like you might be able to pull this off, but as previously mentioned, be careful of rear window clearance.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
As a follow up thought, I think you might find a lot of crap blasted down through the panels by the front of the tent if you drive at much speed with that setup. I can’t promise that, it’s just a theory. If you are running the Gobi wind deflector, that might lift most of it up and over the tent.

crofrog

Thanks. I need to find someone local to me that has one and see if I can mount it to test fit it. The wife really doesn’t want to loose the view out the top, and I don’t want to drop 4K on a it’ll probably work

chacomaya

Thanks. I need to find someone local to me that has one and see if I can mount it to test fit it. The wife really doesn’t want to loose the view out the top, and I don’t want to drop 4K on a it’ll probably work
If it would be helpful, I could put a straightedge on the bottom of my Skycamp rails and determine for certain if they clear the rear rack tubing. I could also estimate how far back it could go before it runs afoul of the rear window. But...I have a JL, so not sure how relevant it would all be.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I looked at my Gobi and jk tonight. The glass does not open far enough to hit the bottom of anything on top of the rack. I should have remembered this, as my tent opened off the rear of the Jeep and I didn’t remember any glass interference, but it was 1-3/8” higher than the Gobi rails. It should be simple math to see if it will fit. If you can get the freedom panels out might be a different discussion, plus you need a place to haul them. My experience has been that the RTT was the end of top removal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles