Mounting RTT to Yakima Control Towers?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
So, I'm working on a new way of mounting my RTT (CVT Mount Shasta) to my 2005 Frontier. I currently have the tent mounted on the old style Front Runner Bakkie rack, like this:

I hate how high it sits, for a number of reasons. It's obviously adding to the wind resistance, and I just don't think it looks so great with this truck. I want to lower it, but that produces one issue. By putting the tent that low, I would only have a 60x60x20" space in which to carry things. That's fine when I'm geared up for camping because I have it organized to the point where I can fit everything in that space. But say I need to haul a couch, a lawnmower, a snowblower, some firewood? That's where the Yakima system would come in. Their system is designed in parts, the landing pads, the control towers, and the crossbars. The control towers are pretty easy to remove from the landing pads, so theoretically with two people I could very quickly remove the tent from the bed of the truck, leaving the landing pads behind. This way, I could use the truck as normal when I needed it, and set the tent on there when it's time to hit the road.

My question is just how strong is this system? I don't have any worries about it holding the maybe 150 lb dynamic weight, but what about when I'm set up in camp, with two people (~380 lbs) and ~75 lbs of dog inside?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Can't speak for the Yakima load bars strength but I used a pair of Thule load bars for a few years to hold my old tent on my trailer. I had my wife and 2 kids in the tent with me several times and there was never an issue with weight for the bars.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Good to hear. I've been hearing great things about the Yakima rack system. I went down to a local sporting goods store today and had a look at all the various parts. Good lord are they ever stout. The crossbars alone have stupidly thick steel. Ordering parts now! :D

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
If you dont mind going as low as bed level, there is this:

http://www.yakima.com/shop/racksystems/truck-bed/bed-rock

Seems like it would help with any side-flexing of the towers, and might have higher weight ratings than the regular towers...??

That is a very slick system. I do want the ability to run a tonneau cover on conjunction with the RTT rack, but if that wasn't an issue, this would be the way to go. That looks very strong and very straightforward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior