Mounting Options for the Ham Radio Face

Reata Rover

Adventurer
I am looking at the Yaesu 7800 and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for mounting the face? I was thinking of the overhead console where most Discos have the sunroof buttons. Mine is a 2004 Discovery S.

Let the pictures fly.

superpowerdave

Adventurer
I debated a lot when I mounted mine. I thought about the sunroof controls but I use those all the time so I nixed that one. The joke cup-holders under the temp controls though (which I've never used) I immediately knew I could do without.

I used a Gadd bracket I had in my stock (I've got another if you find a need for your install) and simply removed the cupholders and then screwed the bracket into place. I think my install is clean, wires hidden and I'm happy with the placement.

The mic-holder is simply slid in behind the center console - no drilling, no glue, nothing. So far it's not popped out once, on road or off.

3204778183_069085aae5.jpg

3204778683_ea5096fc2f.jpg

Bracket

3205625782_b6334ab575.jpg

Reata Rover

Adventurer
I really like the mount....The reason I was thinking about the sunroof buttons area is I dont have any sunroofs, so it is wasted space for me. What kind of additional struggle might I have getting the wiring up the corner post and pver there with out taking the headliner down? I hate to jack with the headliner, they seem a little tempramental. (sp)?

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Not the same radio, but same truck.

Keeping the radio down low helps hide it from thieves. Speaker is in the A-pillar hidden behind a factory tweeter cover.

Attachments

• radio1.jpg
    radio1.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 146
  • p5010002_med.jpg
    p5010002_med.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 142

superpowerdave

Adventurer
Craig that is mine plan as well, just to keep it stock looking. I used a standard external speaker bought from a truck stop though for now and it's mounted up above the driver seat belt in that stock plate designed for the internal motion sensor thing that I don't have :)

And I'm like Craig ... I have no issues with shifting or with clearance down there on the tunnel. When I mounted mine I removed the stock cupholders and the faceplate mounts up where they would have been and only hangs down maybe half and inch.

On a side note Craig ... is that an electric in/out for your winch? I'm interested in the wiring process. Shoot me a pm if you wouldn't mind so we don't clog this thread :)

Last edited:

Reata Rover

Adventurer
I used a standard external speaker bought from a truck stop though for now and it's mounted up above the driver seat belt in that stock plate designed for the internal motion sensor thing that I don't have :)

Love that idea as well. What kind of grill/face/cover on the speaker in the motion sensor hole? Did you fab something? Where did the bracket screw in? Any pics you can post?

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I'm looking for ideas for mounting in a '95 Defender 90. Other than the parcel shelf my untrained eye isn't seeing many options. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :sombrero:

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Post a picture of the radio, speaker, and the inside of the Defender (Dash, A pillars, overhead console area, etc).

Mark bought one of those Defender dash consoles. He used his to mount a touchscreen computer, but one could just as easily be used to install a HAM radio.

attachment.php

A tuffy/center console box w/ radio pocket also makes a good location.

Attachments

• Mark_OverNav_400.jpg
    Mark_OverNav_400.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 786
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior