Mounting Options for FWC Hawk

Looking for some folks with experience to chime in on mounting options for a FWC Hawk on a 2004 Toyota Tundra. I've read that the standard mounting suggested for Four Wheel Campers may be problematic for extended off road travel.

For a 2004 Tundra, FWC says to mount eye bolts at 12 inches and 61 inches from the front of the truck bed. I checked the underside at these locations, and in both places it looks like there is a (relatively thin) metal brace the runs across the bed. Using the standard mounting procedure, I would drill through the bed and through these stock metal braces using the hardware I recently purchased (seen in the pic below). My plan is to use a round washer and nut on the top, and a square washer and nut on the bottom, locking in the eye bolt to the bed.

I'm concerned because the stock metal bracing running across the bed is not that thick. I'm wondering how this set up will hold over washboards and heavy articulation, considering what I've read. Is there a better way to mount the camper? Should I be using different hardware or turnbuckles? I would think that the turnbuckles should at least have springs in them to allow for a little flex, no? The turnbuckle, pictured, came with the camper. The camper was bought used so I am not sure if these are what FWC provides or if the previous owner bought these separately.

Thanks!:)

Eye Bolt Hardware for FWC

FWC Turnbuckle

bill harr

Adventurer
Do not use that eye bolt it will pull apart. You need a forged eye bolt.
42401_hr1c.jpg

If you use a 4" sq steel plate top and bottom you will be OK on your Tundra. That is what I use on my 2005 Tundra and it stayed tight on Slick Rock Road.

bill harr

Adventurer
Turn buckle is good, carry spares. They are the weak link like a fuse it should break before the camper or truck mount.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Those are factory FWC turnbuckles.

I would also like to have turnbuckles with a little flex in them. Just remember not to tighten the factory ones beyond hand tight.

I would also like to have turnbuckles with a little flex in them. Just remember not to tighten the factory ones beyond hand tight.

The only springloaded turnbuckles that come up are the Happijac and Torklift. However, those look like they are too long, and for hooking the camper and truck on the outside of the truck bed. Wondering if there are shorter springloaded ones that are the right size to connect the eye bolts that are inside the bed to the FWC.

zonker

Adventurer
One other little addition that I have done and it has served me very well. I placed a rubber bed mat under the camper. Huge improvement in keeping the camper from moving ever so slightly and loosing the tiedowns. Tightening the turnbuckles to a reasonable torque.. then using a jam nut on the right hand threaded hook coupled with the bed mat has completely stopped even the slightest loosing and movement.

Since making those changes I have probably 25k miles without touching the attachments. This includes several Saline Valley trips and the Mojave Road. Our truck has only one duty and that is adventure.. so it definitely gets a workout and a good test for the tiedowns!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    524.2 KB · Views: 42

gsanders

Observer
I just purchased a pop up camper for my truck and this is what I am doing. I have a 2001 Dodge Ram that came with two factory mounted tiedowns in the rear but none in the front. I found these at a local BiMart store: http://usaprogrip.com/products_detail.php?id=164. They have a breaking strength of 5,000 lbs, so assume a WLL of around 1,600 lbs so even if you break the other 3 one should hold the camper. I plan on drilling through my bed and using pre-drilled flat bar from a hardware store as a a backer. I will use locking washers on the back with nuts (or Loctite) and flat washers on the front. It will be held together with hex bolts. As stated before, with this setup the turnbuckle will be the weak link and it will bend or break before anything else.

I also purchased a rubber mat. I found a 4' by 6' rubber stall mat at a local feed store for about $30. It is 3/4" thick and they are typically used for animal stalls, so it should be fairly durable. I have read on many other sites about a reduction in movement and it keeps the camper off of the bed of the truck to reduce moisture absorbtion and vibration.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles