Mounting options for an Icon Radio??

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I just received my Icon V8000 and I took it out to my 4Runner to see where it could be mounted. There aren't many available spots to mount the V8000. I'm open to all viable mounting locations.

Is mounting the ham radio on top of my dash a possible spot? My only concern is that the rear of the raio would be 3-4 inches away from the windshield defroster vents.

Any pics and suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

asteffes

Explorer
I would avoid puting the radio in direct sunlight as, like you pointed out, the defroster vents are right there and the radio would be directly exposed to a lot of heat from the sun. The manual to your new rig probably says the same. Do you have an in-dash cubby hole that could be removed to accomodate the Icom radio? How about on the side of the center console, by the front passenger's legs?

I guess your other option is to exchange the radio for one with a removable control head that can be mounted remotely from the radio body. You would, however, have to spend a bit more to get that feature, which is a bummer. I don't think you can remotely mount the head of the V8000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke