Mounting gear to a Softtopper

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Any of you Softtopper users come up with a clip-on/clamp/thingy to attach lightweight items (15# or less on each wall, 25# or less on the ceiling) to the inside of the Softtopper supports??

Thinking doing such could provide some decent storage options for, as an example: Left Side/Axe - Right Side/Shovel - Ceiling/ side by side mounted traction boards..

The items will be inside so you don't need to worry about a ************** walking past and trying to liberate your gear.

I talked to Sofftopper and they aren't aware of anyone having done such. They only stressed wieght issues (and unofficially agreed that the numbers I used as an example should be fine) and of course that I wouldn't be folding the topper up with gear attached.

So..ideas??

Attachments

• IMG_20180427_092354466_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180427_092354466_HDR.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20180427_092341767.jpg
    IMG_20180427_092341767.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 82

02rangeredge

Adventurer
for the top wouldn't simple nylon strap with a buckle work? my biggest problem with the sides is getting things attached and keeping them from sliding up or down, but my first thought would be quick fists mounted essentially backwards

Screwfly

I use carabineers to hold light things on mine, like to keep gloves accessible. Hadn't thought about using it for larger items.

Sidenote, do you have a rack over your Softtopper? I'm looking at having one made since I can't find anything that works off the shelf for the F 150.

BobsCreek

Adventurer
I use carabineers to hold light things on mine, like to keep gloves accessible. Hadn't thought about using it for larger items.

Sidenote, do you have a rack over your Softtopper? I'm looking at having one made since I can't find anything that works off the shelf for the F 150.

Yup, I have a rack.

For the Colorado I think all real racks are customs, there is a "us rack" brand one that seems to be a universal, however it's not very impressive.

I'm sure you have a shop near you that can build you one. The advantage is you can talk the plan out and build it how you want it. For instance, maybe you want a mount for a rotopax, or maybe a ladder, and so on.

deweycj7

I use bungees to strap surfboards to my Softopper. It handles light weight equipment without issue. The limitation is probably not the frame breaking, it is that it sags a lot if you put too much weight on it, so the canvas becomes loose.
20170616_123930.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94