Mounting ARB awning to Yakima bars

fireball

Explorer
In typical fashion I waits until the last minute and bought an ARB awning off amazon. It arrives tomorrow and we leave Wednesday for a trip to Vermont.

I tried a search but couldn't find anything...any ideas how easy it'll be to mount the awning to my Yakima cross bars? Any special parts needed or can I patch something together from lowes?

Thanks in advance for any help.

One last question....any preference as to which side is better to mount the awning?

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
You should give ARB a call and ask. They're pretty helpful and I bet they could answer a lot more quickly than waiting for a response here. (425) 264 1391

Or shoot them an email. I emailed them once and they got right back to me.

fireball

Explorer
Rubicon,

What a novel idea to call the manufacturer! :) More times than not, folks like us on enthusiast message boards have more experience and better ideas then whomever answers the tech-support hotline.

That being said, I just got off the phone with them, and they suggested simple aluminum L brackets that would bolt to my bars and then attach to the awning.
This would be simple and easy, the problem is I'd be attaching a flat piece of steel to a round Yakima bar.

Can anyone with this awning comment on how secure of a mounting you need?
After a quick search and at the few pictures I could find on here, it looks like two mounting points are sufficient.

Thanks again!

Yulli

Yulli the Yeti
Rubicon,

What a novel idea to call the manufacturer! :) More times than not, folks like us on enthusiast message boards have more experience and better ideas then whomever answers the tech-support hotline.

That being said, I just got off the phone with them, and they suggested simple aluminum L brackets that would bolt to my bars and then attach to the awning.
This would be simple and easy, the problem is I'd be attaching a flat piece of steel to a round Yakima bar.

Can anyone with this awning comment on how secure of a mounting you need?
After a quick search and at the few pictures I could find on here, it looks like two mounting points are sufficient.

Thanks again!

Don't forget though, the tech guys are just as enthusiastic as us guys on a message board. I only suggested them because they've been very helpful before when I asked them for some advice on one of their products.

As for your project, I'd make sure you have a good firm mount point. I know a buddy of mine has the ARB awning mounted to the side of his roof rack but has some kind of clamp set up.

ratkin

Adventurer
Look for conduit hangers at Lowe's or Home Depot. I would use more than two, but should work to connect flat brackets to round Yakima bars if you get the correct size.
Conduit-Hangers-with-Bolts.jpg

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

fireball

Explorer
Thanks for the tip on the conduit brackets. I got 2 per cross bar and a 3" L-bracket that mounts to the 2 conduit hangers and then 2 bolts into the awning.

It passed the driveway test and a 40 mile highway and town trip this evening. Seems pretty secure but would love a 3rd mount point in the middle. Heading up to VT tomorrow so will get to put it to use.

zyvubeta.jpg

xplrn42

Adventurer
You should be ok with two brackets, I've got a 2500 ARB awning on my FJ with only two brackets and it's been fine. I've driven up the Columbia Gorge several times at 70 mph and 20 mph head/side/tail winds and have never noticed the awning up there. I'm thinking of installing another bracket...just as a safety measure..
Your gonna love the awning, best thing ever!

enzo

Explorer
Check out Labrak. I had a set of their brackets for awhile and they were top notch. Good customer service as well.

TwinStick

Explorer
Pricey, yes, but not for what it is really. Cut & machined & powder coated peace of mind. Kinda like the "right tool for the job makes ALL the difference", sorta thing. Awning from $171-$650 SECURELY mounted, is worth the price IMHO.

B

BPD53

Look for conduit hangers at Lowe's or Home Depot. I would use more than two, but should work to connect flat brackets to round Yakima bars if you get the correct size.
Conduit-Hangers-with-Bolts.jpg

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Conduit hangers for sure. The roof rack I built is attached to my topper's Yakima bars with conduit hangers and they have worked great. I load firewood on my rack all the time and have traveled thousands of miles over every type of terrain WV/KY can dish out with no issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne