mounting a roof rack system on a motorhome??

wingysataday

Adventurer
I have no idea where to secure a roof rack on my motorhome. 1971 dodge c class. There is no ladder currently. I was thinking the strongest part would be the edges but I'm not sure. I don't want to start drilling holes all over my roof since these things are prone to keaking as it is!
I plan on mounting some solar panels up there seperately from a cargo rack. Thanks guys,

dlh62c

Explorer
What do you plan to carry up there?

Overall vehicle height and the additional weight can also be an issue. Regarding solar panels, I'm keeping an eye on Technomadia who are going to do a review on flexible solar panels soon.

An Airstream owner has used 3M VHB to install the panels.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
You are correct in being careful, I have a 1973 mini Midas c class that someone mounted a platform on causing leaks everywhere, I tried to save it and I found I only bought it a few years. I would not advise putting a lot of weight onthe loft above the cab as the structure on mine was 2x2 if I recall and the weight of whatever they had up there caused the whole mess to sag.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Azlugz

Adventurer
If it did not come with any type of roof storage and no ladder, it is not advisable to do it as the roof is not designed to handle the load and the sifting mass up there. Solar panels would be fine tho. When mounting them, just use a lot of RV roof sealant around your mounts

rlrenz

Explorer
The inherent structural problems in motorhomes are why I decided to modify a medium ambulance -- they are designed to support 2 1/2 times the total vehicle weight on the roof and still have the doors operate normally

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles