Mounting a Pullpal...

jsmoriss

Explorer
I think this is one of the most awkward pieces to mount. I haven't found a good solution yet, so I mostly leave it behind. If I had a good mounting solution, that would probably change.

I have a Garvin roof rack, and tried the Garvin mount, but the other half of the issue is getting at the equipment fast / easily enough. The Garvin mount is a RPIA to use, so even if you have the Pullpal, you may be tempted to use other - more dangerous - recovery methods instead, because it's such a pain un-mount. And of course the weight is located on the roof rack, which is not the greatest place either...

So, what have you guys done to solve the Pullpal problem? :)

js.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I am certainly interested as well. All I've seen so far are custom roof-rack mounts. Usually custom to the rack itself and I don't like the idea of having that much weight up high.

JeepinBear

Explorer
One Option

I can't remember wher I picked up this pic (web) but I always thought this was a clever solution and it looks clean and functional.

stowed.jpg

RoundOut

Explorer
JeepinBear said:
I can't remember wher I picked up this pic (web) but I always thought this was a clever solution and it looks clean and functional.

View attachment 23156

Looks like you got your rocket and your rocket fuel, there. LOL.

I'm contemplating purchasing a pull-pal, since I lost an event at the Expedition Trophy this year that I could have won had I brought a pull-pal. The tire just wasn't staying in the hole I dug, LOL.

jsmoriss

Explorer
Here are some pictures I've found on EE's site...

DSCF0106.jpg

DCP_1063.jpg

100_4462.JPG

js.

jsmoriss

Explorer
This FJ Cruiser owner used some FourTreks roll-bar adapters to make a custom Pullpal mount... The "Clamp Rings" are available in a variety of sizes (http://fourtreks.com/modular_clamp_rings.html), so this could be an easy and versatile base for a Pullpal mount...

17707d1196040903-fourtreks-mount-pullpal-pullpal-mount-2.jpg

17709d1196041799-fourtreks-mount-pullpal-pullpal-mount-4.jpg

17710d1196041808-fourtreks-mount-pullpal-pullpal-mount-5.jpg

17787d1196223084-fourtreks-mount-pullpal-4trks-1.jpg

17789d1196223102-fourtreks-mount-pullpal-4treks-25.jpg

17790d1196223111-fourtreks-mount-pullpal-4treks-26.jpg

Although FourTreks don't offer a Pullpal mount, they do have Hi-Lift and Axe/Shovel mounts...

SCHCE-DSC00242.JPG

NTAPM-AxeShovel2.jpg

js.

Momrocks

Adventurer
Here's how Brian of brian894x4.com fame rack mounted his.

ExpeditionLCexterior031.jpg

edit: My bad, you said you were avoiding roof mounting

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
I've got mine mounted on the rear of my truck. The spade sits behind my spare tire, and the arm is attached to the back end of my roof rack.

2314996723_727912355e.jpg

The arm is secured on the right by an aluminum dowel through its winch attachment hole, topped with a washer and thumb nut. On the left, the arm is retained in a section of |_|-shaped aluminum channel (which prevents the assembly from unfolding), again secured with a washer and thumb nut.

The spade slips into a bracket with channels which retain the flat flanges on either side of the blade.

2319338761_456a5a5a10.jpg

The spade bracket attaches to what originally was a Safari Gard Hi-Lift mount, which bolts to my spare tire carrier.

SG6HLM.gif

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
Green Ganesha said:
I've got mine mounted on the rear of my truck. The spade sits behind my spare tire, and the arm is attached to the back end of my roof rack.

2314996723_727912355e.jpg

The arm is secured on the right by an aluminum dowel through its winch attachment hole, topped with a washer and thumb nut. On the left, the arm is retained in a section of |_|-shaped aluminum channel (which prevents the assembly from unfolding), again secured with a washer and thumb nut.

The spade slips into a bracket with channels which retain the flat flanges on either side of the blade.

2319338761_456a5a5a10.jpg

The spade bracket attaches to what originally was a Safari Gard Hi-Lift mount, which bolts to my spare tire carrier.

SG6HLM.gif

I like it. Could you post a couple more close-ups of how it's mounted to the roof rack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz