Mounting a 5gal spare fuel can onto a Discovery II?:confused:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Hmm . . . well, I guess that is a concern, then. What about pulling off the inside door panels and installing a backing plate? And is the rear door skin of the Disco aluminum? I've lost track of where Rover uses aluminum any more.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, great point Dmarchand!
The ladder idea would work for a while, but
I certainly don't want everything to tear itself apart over time.

Jonathan
I know the hood of the DII is aluminum but I'll have to walk around with a magnet to see where else aluminum is used.
I could also check on the inside of the door to see if the backing plate idea would work out.

Maybe I should just build that custom raer bumper with swing outs that has been on my list! After all the cooler fall temps make for good welding weather!:ar15: :ar15:

Ok, back to the drawing board!

Dmarchand

Adventurer
You can pull the interior panel on the rear door and have a look at the substructure and frame of the door. Their is a steel frame piece behind the door skin that ties into the rear door framing and spare tire carrier supports. So it might be possible to pass through the skin into the frame structure. Hard part is aligning it all.

If I recall correctly (don't shoot me though), the door skins (all 5), quarter panels and hood are aluminum. Roof is steel and door frames are steel.

Brian894x4

Explorer
You might consider a couple of 2.5 gallon jerry cans. The smaller size and lighter weight allow you more options as to where to mount and how to carry. Since they are smaller, you can even pack them inside somewhere. While this is not always a good idea, I can at least attest to the fact that the Wedco cans I use are extremely air tight. Including both the 2.5 and 5 gallon models.

But I can also attest to what happens when you leave them inside a hot vehicle. A square can will become a round one as you thank you're lucky stars the welds held. :eek:

Anyway, because of the lighter weight, I was able to mount two cans onto my tailgate, allowing me to ditch the heavy swing out rack and they are MUCH easier to lift out and use for actual refueling.

Also, you have the option of only carrying one 2.5 gallon can.

Attachments

• Mods0806rear44.jpg
    Mods0806rear44.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 67

Scott Brady

Founder
I have never been adverse to carrying fuel inside the vehicle in high quality containers. Some disagree, which is totally understandable.

My view is that in a proper container and properly stored/secured there is less chance of a spill or damage (like in a roll or rear end collision).

I have stored fuel in both the Scepter and Wedco and had no issues with leaks or fumes. Just clean the tank before putting in the vehicle.

iguana4x4

Wiki_4x4
I agree with you in this one Scott, even Tom Sheppard carries fuel inside the vehicle. Just make sure the container is appropriate, in good condition and clean before you put it into the vehicle.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I, too, agree, safety-wise. We went all through Baja with a NATO can inside Roseann's FJ55 with nary a whiff of gas.

My concern is more with cargo room, and in that regard a jerry can is a convenient thing to stick somewhere on the outside of the vehicle. Much better than, say, strapping your laptop case on the roof rack.

And, Brian (89 4x4), your stuff always looks practical and workmanlike.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, good idea with the fuel on the inside.
I have a nice Wedco, just a few months old and with a good seal
I have been impressed with it as a container.

Not sure how comfortable my navigator and co-pilot will be with it though.
Amy used to work in a hospital burn unit and has seen the results of unfortunate happenings. Makes me nervous too.

But I have never smelled nary a fume from the Wedco and can't see how it could ever accidentally open, so...

Hey FortyMileDesert,
Thanks for posting up, great photos!

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
mcvickoffroad said:
What is it? What is it?!!?
Maybe I could use it for this weekend, is it easy to rigup?
It is a secret, but I think it would work awesome! I will show it to you at breakfast.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Ok I know the suspense is killing you! Here is a preview of my idea:
side.jpg

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Brian, I have carried my WEDCO can inside and have had no problems with it. I will do so this weekend as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior