Mounting a 5gal spare fuel can onto a Discovery II?:confused:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Mounting a 5gal spare fuel can onto a Discovery II?

:confused:I've been trying to figure out how to carry spare fuel for a while now.
I have a Discovery II and there is limited space on the outside for mounting a can.

Two obvious solutions are
1 - on a roof rack -- I try to only use my roof rack when absolutely necessary and take it on and off depending on the trip I am taking. one day trail rides = no rack. Anything that requires additional gear, and the interior space is occupied by people and dog = rack.

2 - mounting a fuel can holder on the spare tire mount to be carried on the outside of the spare tire -- this is where I carry my Hi-Lift so no space for a fuel can.

Possible solution
To mount a fuel can holder onto the ladder and carry the fuel can there.
I have a ladder bolted to the drivers half of the back door, it is for accessing the roof rack. This stays on all the time and has three rungs. It is steel and fully welded. It is bolted to the door.

I am considering taking a steel fuel can holder
gascan-holder-1.jpg

and bolting it to the bottom rung of the ladder and running the tie down strap up and around the top rung of the ladder.

The other option is to weld or bolt on an "L" or "U" shaped piece of steel bar stock onto the bottom rung of the ladder. For a Blitz can with a lip on the bottom, that lip could be hung onto the L or U of the welded on piece and then the top of the can would be secured to the top rung of the ladder with a clamp of some sort, to be designed.

I have a Wedco can with rounded edges on the bottom so I don't believe the welded bar stock idea will work with it.

Another option is to mount a full fuel can cage, like the ones made by Adventure Traler, to the ladder but that would be adding more weight.

So any thoughts?
Has anyone done this?
Does anyone see any flaws, holes or concerns?

Here is what it would look like:
With%20can.jpg

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Brian.........

I have the same problem.

But I have no tire rack/ ladder......nuffin!

I like your ladder idea.........!

Is it OK to paint the Gas Can to match your truck?:eek:

You could paint the cap RED to remember what's in there:costumed-smiley-007

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Scenic WonderRunner said:
Is it OK to paint the Gas Can to match your truck?:eek:

You could paint the cap RED to remember what's in there:costumed-smiley-007

Thanks,
I will leave the can red since it will not live on the back of the vehicle. I may however paint the can holder black to blend in with the ladder and trim.

I don't think I want to paint the can or holder white to match the rig. That would be trying to hard to match, for me, and look odd IMO. I only just started matching my belt to my shoes, per Amy's recommendation! I'm not sure if I could handle too much more color coordination.

S

Scenic WonderRunner

I dunno............!

Some people think ALL White is pretty KEWL.............!...:rockon:

ccmsg09-2.jpg

......hehe:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
:xxrotflma ...

Ok Ok...

So does anyone see any concerns or possible problems with the mod mentioned in the first post?

Thanks
Brian

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
A new Expo record! Second response and we're off on a tangent!

I see a business possibility here, though, Brian: The Elvis Commemorative Disco! You'll need about ten pounds of sequins and some glue.

Okay: First, no Blitz cans! You'll be sorry. L.E.A.K.S.

I think if the ladder is strong enough for humans with access to lawyers to climb on, it should be strong enough for your idea. You will be adding stress to the door hinges and latch while underway, however. Just something to watch.

One thing: If possible, I prefer a can holder that encapsulates the can, so that if all latches fail it will be held in by gravity. I've seen two instances of cans flung to the road after a strap or latch failed. It doesn't have to be solid; can be a cage of square tubing or angle. Simple to have a welder fab for you. The one in the photos looks perfect.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Brian,

I say there or on the tire itself but since you are using the hi-lift there I say the ladder would be a good option.

Only concern I can think of would be making sure its secure!

And I second not color matching... but dont forget the sequins!!!
:sombrero:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

The only problem I could see with it on the Ladder........

...is the possibility of the extra weight and bouncing, messing with the Ladder Mounts ON THE DOOR SKIN.... down the line.

But I've never had a Disco......just something to watch out for.

Just kidding on the color!.....didn't you see the embarrassed smiley?:eek:

But!

As for me and my.... one day Jerry Can.

I promise to paint it Silver with Black Handles

.....and a Sticker that says.....Elvis was Here!:shakin: .........:costumed-smiley-007

Last edited by a moderator:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I second the Long Ranger but didnt mention it because I was under the impression that you were looking for an alternitive to a more expensive solution since you dont always have it.

But the I think the above set up would be a nice long term, safe worry free alternative.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
The Long Ranger would be great!

But they look like more Hi Ho Silver! than I was planning to spend right now. I could not find pricing, how much do they run?

Thanks

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
mcvickoffroad said:
The Long Ranger would be great!

But they look like more Hi Ho Silver! than I was planning to spend right now. I could not find pricing, how much do they run?

Thanks

Tank is about $550, getting it here is about $400 (whether you buy one or 5, so if you can get a few others in on it, you save huge). And all the extra goodies were another $500 or so (didnt have to be, but i went all out on this). Not sure what is involved on a rover install though.

Dmarchand

Adventurer
I would not mount it to the DII ladder. I've installed the ladder on my '04 and considering it uses rivnuts in the thin aluminum skin, having a full jerry mounted to that does not seem like the right idea. It would only be a matter of time before the lower mounts pull the riv-nut right out of the rear door skin.

The ladder supports stationary weight because of the bend in the top mount over the door skin onto the top of the door frame. But once you add that weight, lower down and begin bouncing around, etc. No good.

I don't see any easy answer for you. I wouldn't trust the door hinges with the added weight anyway, even if you mount to the spare carrier.

How about switching to diesel? :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94