Mountain State Overland - exploring and protecting appalachia

msoverland

I just noticed your mailing address is a PO box in Montvale Va. I drive through there everyday. It's 10 minutes from where I live.

Awesome! Yep, I (Jason) live up on a mountain in Thaxton and work in Roanoke. Jeremy and Jamie live in Greenbrier County and work in Lewisburg.

msoverland

And thanks for all the other comments guys/gals. We featured some details of the recent coal ash and slurry spills in WV/NC on our blog. Its sad and its important to bring light to these issues because it affects "our" wilderness and "our" trails.

We're slowly redirecting our efforts back towards "adventure;" you'll see evidence of the that in the next couple episodes, so stay tuned! We plan to release Episode 3 by the end of February 2014.

In other news, check out The New Artemis, "Primer to Overlanding," if you get a chance; we gave EXPO some props in the interview! Also, the author will be joining us in March on our next trip for a behind the scenes piece.

Thanks for everyone's support and always feel free to share your ideas/thoughts/comments.

Tmacphee

Wow, just watched the first couple episodes and they were absolutely spectacular! This is a great thing you guys are doing and I can't wait for the next one. Thank you.

msoverland

Episode 3 - welcome to white grass

Episode 3 - Welcome to White Grass

In this episode, we take you to White Grass Ski Touring Center in Canaan Valley, WV. This place is so dedicated to cultural preservation that it still operates in one of the oldest Nordic ski lodges in the US.

music by Jason Jaros - soundcloud.com/jrjaros

[video=vimeo;87643546]http://vimeo.com/87643546[/video]

Last edited:

joneseyyy

Explorer
The Mountain State Overland Guys are first rate! We had a blast hanging with y'all for the weekend and the episode turned out great! Really captures the spirit of the trip and the adventures in our own backyard here in the East.

www.dirtroadtrip.com is all about scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time.

msoverland

Love the latest episode! In for more of that

Thanks Mort. We've already got Episode 5 marked on the calendar. We're tuning done the 4wd element a bit in the next video but the trucks will always be part of the adventure. There's more offroading in the works in future episodes so stay tuned! We appreciate all the support EXPO has given us as we continue to showcase the eastern US.

msoverland

The Mountain State Overland Guys are first rate! We had a blast hanging with y'all for the weekend and the episode turned out great! Really captures the spirit of the trip and the adventures in our own backyard here in the East.

www.dirtroadtrip.com is all about scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time.

Right on Ben! DRT, your ladies and your four-legged friends made the trip an absolute delight. There's no doubt you and Alex will be on our minds as we continue to explore our backyard; cheers and toast to memories with your next glass of vino.

msoverland

Awesome video, great music as well!

Where all did you guys go?

We started in Daleville VA and logged 150 miles or so to Wytheville. Originally, we planned a 250 mile trip to Mount Rogers, but filming and closed forest gates set you back a bit. If you'd like the .gpx file from the trip, let us know and I'd be happy to email it to you. The road we back tracked is open now.

msoverland

Just watched all the videos, excited that someone is making videos about this part of the country

Thanks! You're not too far off from us; we've got relatives in your neck of the woods. We saw exploring Appalachia as an opportunity to get the "average joe" off the beaten path. Too many people spend their road time on the interstate; its boring and far more dangerous, especially I-81. If you're ever in SW VA look us up!

enzo

Explorer
We started in Daleville VA and logged 150 miles or so to Wytheville. Originally, we planned a 250 mile trip to Mount Rogers, but filming and closed forest gates set you back a bit. If you'd like the .gpx file from the trip, let us know and I'd be happy to email it to you. The road we back tracked is open now.

Just watched this episode and recognized a few places. I would love to make this trip myself. PM sent with email address. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles