Mountain State Overland - exploring and protecting appalachia

msoverland

Thanks for the feedback Mortonm! Episode 3 was a lot of fun to film. Lots of good roads to explore in Tucker County, but we spent the weekend keeping warm and shaking the snow off the tent. If you have any questions about Mon. Nat. Forest, let us know. We've spent a lot of time on the back roads in all of MNF.

As for the awning, Rhino Rack USA stepped in and made things right!

Great series so far, I am definitely interesting in future videos exploring this area, as I plan to spend a week in Monongahela Forest area later this summer, so hopefully I can get some ideas of places to go and things to see!

Unfortunate to hear about the awning, it looks like the same nut wore through ever layer of the awning that was wrapped around it?

msoverland

Got your email man and great blog BTW. I'll get back to you soon man! This weekend is a no go unfortunately, we're heading out to Victor, ID to spend the week playing in powder; gonna be epic!

Awesome guys, sending an email now! This weekend is looking to be a snowy one!

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the feedback Mortonm! Episode 3 was a lot of fun to film. Lots of good roads to explore in Tucker County, but we spent the weekend keeping warm and shaking the snow off the tent. If you have any questions about Mon. Nat. Forest, let us know. We've spent a lot of time on the back roads in all of MNF.

As for the awning, Rhino Rack USA stepped in and made things right!

Any advice on the back roads/great views and places to see in MNF would be more than welcome!

concretejungle

Adventurer
I remember reading somewhere that you guys were trying to map part of cullowhee. That's my old stomping grounds from my WCU college days. That place is amazing... however it's almost all closed now. All the trails i road on mountain bikes, enduro motorcycles and land cruisers are now gates or tank trapped.

I am curious to see where you are able to find new trails. I have been up there a few times since college and i keep hitting gate after gate. Really sad.

Elk

Observer
Nice start guys. I really enjoy watching video on Vimeo over YouTube, especially since giving up cable and going to a Roku unit on my TV. I look forward to following the development of your show and wish you the best of luck in your production and travels. WV is near enough to me that I used to race mountain bikes there in college and have some fond memories of Douthat, Canaan, and GWNF. The spill must have been devastating for the communities and is a somber reminder of the love/hate relationship with coal in the region.

dra2120

Being someone who just left the construction industry in WV, its great to see that some people in WV are stepping up to push sustainability. I tried to get the designers I worked with to integrate sustainability into the construction projects we were working on, but I always got the same reply. "this is west virginia we don't do that crap here" So bravo to you guys, wish I had met up with you before I moved outta state.

enzo

Explorer
I just noticed your mailing address is a PO box in Montvale Va. I drive through there everyday. It's 10 minutes from where I live.

msoverland

I remember reading somewhere that you guys were trying to map part of cullowhee. That's my old stomping grounds from my WCU college days. That place is amazing... however it's almost all closed now. All the trails i road on mountain bikes, enduro motorcycles and land cruisers are now gates or tank trapped.

I am curious to see where you are able to find new trails. I have been up there a few times since college and i keep hitting gate after gate. Really sad.

Cullowhee, NC? No, we don't have any plans to head that way. We're considering some routes in NC/TN for Episode 4 though. Thanks for the heads up; we'll reevaluate our route selection if part of it includes the Cullowhee area.

msoverland

Nice start guys. I really enjoy watching video on Vimeo over YouTube, especially since giving up cable and going to a Roku unit on my TV. I look forward to following the development of your show and wish you the best of luck in your production and travels. WV is near enough to me that I used to race mountain bikes there in college and have some fond memories of Douthat, Canaan, and GWNF. The spill must have been devastating for the communities and is a somber reminder of the love/hate relationship with coal in the region.

Thanks for your comments Elk. We like Vimeo, but it can be hard for some people with connection problems. We're toying around with posting our videos on YouTube too.

Ha, I grew up 20 miles from Douthat; that's where I got started on a mountain bike. You'll see more of Cannan Valley and Seneca in Episode 3.

The spill is a horrible situation, that's why we wanted to help. No one knows what's going on over there, its sad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles