Mountain State Overland - exploring and protecting appalachia

concretejungle

Adventurer
Cool video!

That's east coast over landing for you right there. Find a road, dive down it only to find a gate or running into private property. It's part of the adventure.

(beans)

Observer
This is good stuff!

Thanks for sharing all of this guys! Its good to see my old stomping grounds peppered with some beautiful toyotas! The photography is fantastic btw.

And I loved seeing that you delivered H2O to the people in WV.

Cheers, and keep it coming!

a

msoverland

Cool video!

That's east coast over landing for you right there. Find a road, dive down it only to find a gate or running into private property. It's part of the adventure.

Tub Run Road outside of New Castle is never closed and MVUM doesn't even classify it as a road subject to closure. Although we didn't show it in the video, that first gate was closed when we got there. We walked over to check it out and the lock was open. We took a chance and we got shot down; that's just the way it goes.

Coming off Big Walker Mountain we took another chance and we rolled out at a property owners driveway. He was super cool and asked us how come we didn't just drive across his field, ha!

Thanks for the support Concrete.

msoverland

Thanks for sharing all of this guys! Its good to see my old stomping grounds peppered with some beautiful toyotas! The photography is fantastic btw.

And I loved seeing that you delivered H2O to the people in WV.

Cheers, and keep it coming!

a

Thanks Beans! Episode 5 will be out by the end of May; back into WV to spend some time on Spruce Knob. Cheers!

msoverland

Episode 5 - educating the high country

Episode 5 - educating the high country

After splitting up for Episode 4, it was time to bring the team back together again. We set our bearings north of Greenbrier County and aimed for West Virginia's summit. The Mountain Institute was hosting this visit and set aside some time to share their stories.

music by Rust Kings

[video=vimeo;97016358]http://vimeo.com/97016358[/video]

IMG_5091.JPG

IMG_4770.JPG

IMG_4717.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

IMG_4649.JPG

Last edited:

crimson850

Observer
Hard to believe one of you is from little Bedford Virginia! There seem to be some excellent trails and forest roads throughout the region, but most are closed. Its a shame. I have discovered some cool places on google earth and such, but they are closed to vehicles.

carlo muro

Just what is up with all the roads being closed in this area? I'm a local (Greenbrier Co. WV) who has moved on to the big city of Salem, VA LOL! I can remember in the early '90's you could explore to your heart's content. I didn't have a vehicle for it then. Now I have a Jeep Rubicon but no where to drive it! In the west they worry about the BLM but have tons of roads to explore. Here we have no BLM but everything is closed. What can we do?

Hard to believe one of you is from little Bedford Virginia! There seem to be some excellent trails and forest roads throughout the region, but most are closed. Its a shame. I have discovered some cool places on google earth and such, but they are closed to vehicles.

msoverland

Some local boys, nice! Yeah, pickns are slim, just got to look in the right places. Most of the routes that we've toured we've also explored on two wheels but you're right, there seems to be a ton of gates out there these days and a lot are closed. There's a lot of good routes dual sport riders have mapped on ADVRider and most are "gate friendly;" you just have to find the right people and ask.

Hope to see you both on the road soon and if you don't have plans for July 11-13, look up the Mid-Atlantic Overland Festival; its bound to be a good time! We had a great time visiting with the guys at Main Line Overland.

Just what is up with all the roads being closed in this area? I'm a local (Greenbrier Co. WV) who has moved on to the big city of Salem, VA LOL! I can remember in the early '90's you could explore to your heart's content. I didn't have a vehicle for it then. Now I have a Jeep Rubicon but no where to drive it! In the west they worry about the BLM but have tons of roads to explore. Here we have no BLM but everything is closed. What can we do?

[video=vimeo;97192447]http://www.vimeo.com/97192447[/video]

crimson850

Observer

Id be glad to show you the places that I know, again most places being forest roads but they are still fun. I no longer have a truck, but my brother has an FJ and we should for sure meet up sometime. We need to get all the MSO guys together and have a camp out at my farm one weekend, or head into the national forest and setup camp somewhere.

msoverland

Excellent! Its a small world and we're sure to cross paths on 460 at least. Maybe we should consider a monthly evening meetup in Bedford for drinks, food, stories and trip planning. There's at least 6 trucks/EXPO members that we've hunted down in Bedford County and some great local resources for overland gear that could join us. Stay tuned and let's plan a show and tell at Liberty Station soon.

Id be glad to show you the places that I know, again most places being forest roads but they are still fun. I no longer have a truck, but my brother has an FJ and we should for sure meet up sometime. We need to get all the MSO guys together and have a camp out at my farm one weekend, or head into the national forest and setup camp somewhere.

enzo

Explorer
That was me you passed on 460 Saturday evening. I'm down for whatever. We can all camp up at my cabin and check out some FS roads in the area sometime if anyone is interested.

msoverland

That was me you passed on 460 Saturday evening. I'm down for whatever. We can all camp up at my cabin and check out some FS roads in the area sometime if anyone is interested.

10 4 Enzo, just shoot us a PM sometime if you want to meet up for a post-work brew; we're virtually neighbors!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94