Mountain Biking Around Colorado and Wyoming

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Just some recent trip photos from mountain biking around Colorado and Wyoming the past two months on the weekends when I get the chance trying to get some varying terrain and distance in since I'm planning to bike the Monarch Crest Trail and various sections of the Colorado trail system latter this year.

4/3/21 and 4/4/21 - I spent sometime on some familiar trails down at the Royal Gorge and east of Buena Vista.

Buena Vista

4/25/21 - I decided to check out a new to me trail system down in southern Colorado between Monte Vista and Del Norte. I was going on day 4 of a massive headache that over the counter medication couldn't touch but I needed to get out and wasn't going to let it stop me. I was a bit light headed / nauseous when I got back to my truck and just laid down in the bed of my truck till it passed. The trial was so worth it though, I'll be going back here shortly without the headache this time.

Top of Lime Klin

Great Sand Dune NP is way in the background.

Old Stone Quarry area

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
5/1/21 - I decided to head up to Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming to check out the area since I've seen the turn off for it multiple times and never stopped. Out of the recent trails this was probably my least favorite to biking due to trail having alot of the fragmented granite on the trail system and granite outcroppings. Plus, I wrecked twice and my right shoulder still isn't all that happy.

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
5/15/21 - I had seen some information that Cinnamon Pass had just recently been opened and decided to make the drive over since I have never been over the pass this early in the season and decided to try the trip in with another new to me trail system the R.A.T (Ridgeway Area Trial). If I'm over in the area again with my mountain bike I'll hit this trail system up again.

Cinnamon Pass - I would've bike down if I had a shuttle back up.

Conditions at American Basin - Handies Peak trailhead (Colorado 14er)

Looking back at American Basin

A little bit of snow near the top of the pass.

Animas Fork

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Ironton Townsite - couldn't pass this up to see what condition it was in since its been awhile since I visited it last.

Views form the R.A.T the main reason for the trip.

Keeping an eye on the trail conditions for Monarch Crest Trail for when it will open in the mean time I'm eyeballing some other areas to bike.

Last edited:

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I live in Cedaredge not too far from the RAT Trails. It’s not my favorite because too much climbing. I’ve also ridden Curt Gowdy, around Salida and BV. Not sure when you plan to be back in Western Colorado but the Palisade Plunge will open soon. That will be one wild ride. Shuttles will be running too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
the Palisade Plunge will open soon. That will be one wild ride. Shuttles will be running too.
The lower 17 miles of the Plunge is open this weekend. I guess the decision is to make it downhill above the 5 mile from the bottom point, though.

Last edited:

DieselRanger

5/1/21 - I decided to head up to Curt Gowdy State Park in Wyoming to check out the area since I've seen the turn off for it multiple times and never stopped. Out of the recent trails this was probably my least favorite to biking due to trail having alot of the fragmented granite on the trail system and granite outcroppings. Plus, I wrecked twice and my right shoulder still isn't all that happy.
Sounds like the Pikes Peak pea gravel around COS. I've ridden Monarch Crest and it's fantastic - took the Greens Creek descent as when I rode in early September (2010...) there were some showers starting to roll in unexpectedly and we didn't want to stay on the ridge. Fantastic trail...want to get out there again some time. Greens Creek has a number of rock gardens and rooty stuff - definitely more enduro than XC in flavor, but massive grins the whole way down.

Awesome pics BTW!

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
I need to get back out exploring the backroads but mountain biking is filing that role at the moment. Made an attempt last weekend to ride the Buffalo Creek area but due to a trail race I end up back at Rampart Reservoir. So this weekend I made the drive up there to attempt to ride it with more success (next weekend there is a bike race), ended up riding the Little Scraggy Sampler, 23.3 miles (name from MTBproject.com). Rode little Little Scraggy, Shingles Mill Trail and Nice Kitty (wasn't nice I was tired and the ride uphill wasn't fun) totally worth I don't know why I have never ridden this system before, I'll make a return to try the Buffalo Creek Big Loop or the Buff Creek 'Big Burrito Loop).

Little Scraggy

Not a very good zoom on my cell phone.

Shingles Mill Trail

Nice Kitty

As a side note riding the Colorado Trail is on my bucket list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles