Mountain biker killed by Cougar

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...on-cougar-panther-attack-kills-man/626259002/

SNOQUALMIE, Wash. — One man was killed and another injured Saturday when a mountain lion attacked them as they were riding mountain bikes in remote woods northeast of here, law enforcement said.

A 31-year-old man, whose name was not released, was airlifted to a Seattle hospital about 30 miles to the west with unspecified injuries, said Sgt. Ryan Abbott, a King County Sheriff’s spokesman.

The injured man initially was listed in serious condition but was upgraded later to satisfactory condition, Harborview Medical Center said in a statement. He was alert and talking when he arrived.

He had called 911 shortly before 11 a.m. PT, shouting, “Can you hear me? Help!” and then hung up, KIRO-TV, Seattle reported.

The second man, whose name also was withheld pending notification of kin, fled into the woods with the big cat chasing after him. He later was found dead with the animal standing over his body.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've had one actual sighting, the tail end of a cat running up and away from us. I had a second on a night ride where there were many shoulder height eyes reflecting back and a set some distance away lower. Could have been coyote but it was certainly not rabbit, prairie dogs or something like that and it was too short to be in the deer herd. It was spooky just the same.

But honestly I'm not scared of mountain lions, it's rattlesnakes that give me the shivers. That's about 1-in-4 sighting on rides around here. Lions, yeah 1 time in 25 years is a pretty low risk.

fire_strom

Adventurer
They see us out there more than than we see them!:eek:
Kidding mostly. Only once had that feeling of tingly vulnerability that made me re route. It was a slow snow bike ride in Slime Gulch (Durango) in the late afternoon. Sun going down deer sign everywhere, and that feeling. Slot canyon'ish terrain with a few lion sightings most years. I left.
-G

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles