Mount “ditch spots” on tow hooks? / legality / clamps?

NoDak

Those are illegal in every state and province since the 1960s. They have to be covered on the highway and can only be used off road..... legally.... jusy cuz the law is rarely enforced does not make them legal.

In BC driving on public roads without covers is a $186 fine. Driving with lights on is another $81..... ask me how I know.

In BC the law states no auxillary lights can be mounted above the centerline of the factory headlamps. The only exception is on a vehicle with a snow plow attached.... during the winter season.

ND STATE
39-21-17. Spot lamps and auxiliary lamps. 1. Spot lamps. Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps and every lighted spot lamp must be so aimed and used so that no part of the high-intensity portion will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror, or occupant of another vehicle in use.

Every state?

billiebob

every lighted spot lamp must be so aimed and used so that no part of the high-intensity portion will strike the windshield, or any windows, mirror, or occupant of another vehicle in use.
sounds like it to me..... good luck winning in court if that oncoming vehicle claims your lights blinded him.

But we are talking about lamps mounted above the hood too. If you have a pillar or hood mounted or roof mounted LEDs... impossible to aim them and pass that Indiana law. So yes, even in Indiana lights mounted above the stock headlights are illegal.

NoDak

That was pulled straight from ND DOT Vehicle code. No need for interpretation or talk of defending anything in court. Its legal here.

billiebob

That was pulled straight from ND DOT Vehicle code. No need for interpretation or talk of defending anything in court. Its legal here.
good luck with that
of course no one is enforcing the law yet... anywhere
sort of like tires extending past the fenders... illegal everywhere too

you realize this was started by the a pillar post/picture, not commenting on spot/fog/driving lights mounted on the bumper
if you have a pillar lights on a lifted 4x4 obviously they will blind the oncoming Miata driver .... and you get charged

Last edited:

NoDak

Enforcing what law? those lights are legal here. The law allows them even if you dont want them to be.

Edit: Yes I know as the law omits a height requirement for spots unlike the driving or fogs. Which is why I can have cowl mounted ditch lights on my truck.

Last edited:

billiebob

Enforcing what law? those lights are legal here. The law allows them even if you dont want them to be.
I wish I did not have to cover mine but you are not reading your own states law. You are the one who wants them to be legal.

NoDak

Where I live they are legal. I'm not about to let someone from another country tell me otherwise. Stop trying.

Boz

Observer
You could put a light bar between the tow hooks so you don't have to worry about removing the lights to use your hooks. https://8lugtruckgear.com/Lighting/...250-350-20-Inch-Light-Bar-Brackets-p2432.html

30517.JPG

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
good luck with that
of course no one is enforcing the law yet... anywhere
sort of like tires extending past the fenders... illegal everywhere too

you realize this was started by the a pillar post/picture, not commenting on spot/fog/driving lights mounted on the bumper
if you have a pillar lights on a lifted 4x4 obviously they will blind the oncoming Miata driver .... and you get charged

Not true in Colorado.

No requirement that fenders cover wheels. You won't find it anywhere in the vehicle code.

Auxiliary lights are permitted as long as they are less than 42" above the ground. Source: CRS 42-4-212.

(Not that the law is ever enforced.)

Canadian law may be much more uniform as to vehicle requirements but in the US there are wide variations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94