Mount “ditch spots” on tow hooks? / legality / clamps?

LosAngeles

Mount “ditch spots” on tow hooks? / legality / clamps?

Hi all

For times when driving country roads with no one around, it might be nice to have some “ditch” spots to throw more light ahead to help spot deer.

I’d put them on an up fitter switch (I have the Ford ones)

There is no obvious place to hide them behind the 2020 F350 grill, so how about clamps on the front tow hooks?

I’ll have to measure to see if these fit - but they look pretty perfect (if they fit)

any other recommendations?

They will be inexpensive LED lights (about $35-60/pair) so I don’t mind if they get munched or stolen.

and…. for a second I thought about using yellow lights as these “ditch spots” so it is a constant reminder for me to turn them off if a car approaches… is that a good or a bad idea?

Looking at these 2 lights as inexpensive and decent options:
any preference between the two options below?

I don’t want to get fancy and do any fancy wiring / integration. Just on an up fitter switch or two. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H3VBF5Z (I would have to use 2 x 25 watt up fitter switches, I believe as they are 25 watts each)

or the SPOT version of these (40 watt total, for the pair, so I could put on up fitter #5 or #6, together)

also - with them in place (but off) any chance any highway patrol in any state (perhaps fussy California?) would be upset with them just being there? (but turned off) Serious question.

thanks!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
There are vehicle regulations in many states that dictate the number of lights you can have mounted, aimed and illuminated while on the highway. I think the general rule is if you have lights that do not meet the regulation then they have to have covers on them. Ditch lights I'd think could fall under any of the options except spot probably.

The rules in Colorado (C.R.S. §42-4-212) as an example:

(1) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two spot lamps, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the high-intensity portion of the beam will be directed to the left of the prolongation of the extreme left side of the vehicle nor more than one hundred feet ahead of the vehicle.

(2) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two fog lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twelve inches nor more than thirty inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands and so aimed that, when the vehicle is not loaded, none of the high-intensity portion of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle shall at a distance of twenty-five feet ahead project higher than a level of four inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which it comes.  Lighted fog lamps meeting the requirements of this subsection (2) may be used with lower head-lamp beams as specified in section 42-4-216(1)(b) .

(3) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two auxiliary passing lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than twenty inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.  The provisions of section 42-4-216 shall apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary passing lamps.

(4) Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front at a height of not less than sixteen inches nor more than forty-two inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands.  The provisions of section 42-4-216 shall apply to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary driving lamps.

(5) Any person who violates any provision of this section commits a class B traffic infraction.

Last edited:

LosAngeles

I don't know why you would want to disable your tow points. Why not just mount the lights on the bumper and not make things more complicated than it needs to be.

I have thought about these details.

:)

I will have the correct tool to remove the lights off the tow hooks, in the unlikely event I need them. Would take about 20 seconds if I use the mounts I posted a link to on eBay

And I don’t want to mount them on the bumper as I don’t want to drill any holes.

So this all strikes me as being a simple option I propose.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I like how the wire there just casually blends in to the truck.

Here’s mine. A pillar lights are the way to go for illuminating the side of the road.
c5dcab1bf7af89636497ac9699ab4367.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VanWaLife

A few things to consider:
1. You could use a quickfist instead of the mount you propose, maybe with a plate of some sort as an adapter between the quickfist and the light. This would make them easier for you to remove, also for thieves so depending on how you want to use these that could be a good thing or a bad thing.
2. As far as wiring goes, you could just wire the switch to a 12v lighter socket outlet near where you want the lights, and put the matching plug on the pigtail. This would also make them easier to remove, and you'd have a power point you could use for other things. I have my truck wired this way, and really like having the extra power source (I also wired USB outlets and a camera for my dvr system into the same box).
IMG_2056.JPGIMG_2055.JPG

billiebob

Those are illegal in every state and province since the 1960s. They have to be covered on the highway and can only be used off road..... legally.... jusy cuz the law is rarely enforced does not make them legal.

In BC driving on public roads without covers is a $186 fine. Driving with lights on is another $81..... ask me how I know.

In BC the law states no auxillary lights can be mounted above the centerline of the factory headlamps. The only exception is on a vehicle with a snow plow attached.... during the winter season.

LosAngeles

Those are illegal in every state and province since the 1960s. They have to be covered on the highway and can only be used off road..... legally.... jusy cuz the law is rarely enforced does not make them legal.

In BC driving on public roads without covers is a $186 fine. Driving with lights on is another $81..... ask me how I know.

In BC the law states no auxillary lights can be mounted above the centerline of the factory headlamps. The only exception is on a vehicle with a snow plow attached.... during the winter season.

Good info. Thanks. :)

billiebob

I have thought about these details.

I will have the correct tool to remove the lights off the tow hooks, in the unlikely event I need them. Would take about 20 seconds if I use the mounts I posted a link to on eBay

And I don’t want to mount them on the bumper as I don’t want to drill any holes.

So this all strikes me as being a simple option I propose.

I thought you were asking for ideas ?
I didn't realize you wanted to argue.

Since yer sold on yer idea, just git 'er done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior