Motoz Expedition Trailer: Urban Escape Unit

motoz

Adventurer
Ive finally gotten around to kicking off the transformation of my better halves once loved and well used camper. Its been in their family for the last 30 years, ten of which have been in storage up in the farm shed.

We were talking of buying a trailer when the farther in law said we could have their old one. I took one look and knew it would be a great base to work with.

It started life as a backyard build, then had the tradesman's top put on. Its done two laps around Oz so its proven its build quality. This thing is solid I mean bomb proof. From the chassis to the tub and storage box design everything is folded, seam welded and robust.

Some of the positives are the long drawbar, strong chassis, storage boxes, suspension and same track as the Triton. The biggest downfall is weight, rust and worn out electrics.

Here's some snaps of the weekend we picked it up.

uburu7u9.jpg

e9enemyq.jpg

The full length chassis.

rugu8umy.jpg

The basis of this rebuild is to make a self contained trailer that will house all the items required to setup a modest base camp. It still needs to be small and nimble for offroad use. Features getting incorporated into this build will include:

- rack to carry the KTM
- boxes fabricated on top of base
- the LHS box door to run full length of the trailer. the RHS door to be a length of 1450mm + a door of the remainder.
( this will facilitate access to the clothes storage etc once the tent awning was zipped on )
- all existing locks to be changed to lockable T handles to match the new boxes.
- dust seals fitted as this will be an off road trailer.
- frame made to hold RTT ( Roof Top Tent), height adjustable. Ability to mount an awning also.
- rear draw system for lower storage area
- swing away tire carrier for spare
- 2" receiver for rear of trailer

Last edited:

grimbo

Explorer
Nice basis for a good build.

I have a similar style tradies trailer ( ex Televom generator trailer) I also had all the grand intentions of doing a big buildup, but it stayed pretty much as it was and has been used that way for quite a few years.

Good luck will be watching with interest

motoz

Adventurer
Thanks mate. Yes I know the feeling as its sat at our place for the last year with zero progress. The first step was to remove the tradesman's top.
Man this thing weighed a ton. The frame was solid bar and all the sheet used was 4mm thick. Once unbolted it took four of us to lift it off the base.

na4yqe2e.jpg

There was a fair amount of metal cancer around where the top bolted on and into the actual floor of the storage area. I'm going to give it a full clean up over the next few days and asses the situation.

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer
Wonder if blasting it would help expose the rusted weak spots.
And create more work

I would rather find out though and repair what's needed. Most of the rust is surface though wont know the full extent till the paint comes off.

motoz

Adventurer
So with working soooo much and not having that much spare time I outsourced some of the works. I'm having a local engineering works do all the major fabrication of my design.

The top storage box was fitted and the inside pull out draw fabricated.

Here's a couple progress pics...

eta2ynyt.jpg

pedapu3u.jpg

The RHS box will house the 60lt fridge, stove and bar all on pull out slides :cool:

So far so good...

:D

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer
So we've made a little more progress. The paint was removed off the trailer base. There's a little bit of cancer under the lights and around the front edge. On the whole it's in great nick for its 20+ years of service.

2udyjuhe.jpg

A pair of HD wind down jacks have been fitted. I rear mounted swing away tire carrier...

3yvy6eva.jpg

5u8ymeje.jpg

The top box is fitted and the first of the slides made. These will fit the 60lt ARB fridge and a Junior Lido two burner gas stove...

7u4y5uhe.jpg

2avaryzu.jpg

The drivers side box has been split into two compartments. The larger rear will act as storage for clothes etc. This will be accessible from the change room that attaches to the base of the RTT. The front compartment will house all the 12v electrics...

ja5uhege.jpg

Still to come the height adjustable frame that mounts the RTT and dog leg awning. This will be fitted with four gas struts to help raise the frame once the pop pins are released.

:cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

motoz

Adventurer
Getting hitched...

I've researched hitches till my eyes have started to bleed. I've watched people struggle with the Treg type polly block hitches so knew they weren't for me. :lol:

I've decided on the Oz Hitch. There a 3.5t rated hitch with a very simple self locating design. The hitch pin mounts horizontally into a bushing then locks in place.

dupaby4a.jpg

zuhybumu.jpg

In General:
• 3.5 ton rated ADR tested, rated and approved
• Connecting guide for easy aligning and connection
• Very low profile to save your tailgate or barn doors when opening
• Very safe once loaded, IE cant slip out of cradle
• Simple robust self locking mechanism
• No fiddly clips or latches
• Dual locking and Lockable for security
• High density bushing so no rattles or vibration
• OzHitch is the only “Hot Dip Galvanised” hitch available as corrosion protection, it is The Ultimate rust prevention.
• Steel cast one piece per section so no joins or welds for max strength.
• Connection from above so visually easy to operate.
• Main tongue bolt can be fitted inverted giving far better clearance under the tow tongue and no damage to thread so easy to remove if need to
• Larger off road angles, close to 85degrees in upward direction and 70deg in downward direction of travel.

http://ozhitch.com/

:D

motoz

Adventurer
Thanks guys.

I'm toying with the idea of having the bike mounted across the front of the draw bar. I think this would be the best option.

If we were using the trailer and not taking the bike I've got a design for a storage box that I'd like to get fabricated from aluminium checker plate.

:d

motoz

Adventurer
So the trailer has just come back from paint. We had it done in a silver hammer tone based on the MN cool silver paint.

uhe7a5ap.jpg

e7esede9.jpg

4a9usyna.jpg

The rack lifts up via four gas struts. This will support the RTT and Red Dog dog leg awning.

Next up is some more checker plate trim, electric brakes and the power system install.

:cool:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior