Motorcycle or not on a MB 1120

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
So, been doing a bit more thinking about the rear tire rack. If I was to do something like the truck in post #26 would you guys think a good starting point would be a forklift mast? Essentially it is similar, though opposite (extends down not up so would need some rework). There is a place within driving distance that sells used forklift parts and I can get the mast at what seems a reasonable cost. Could possibly solve the sliding portion of that rack.

Sitec

Adventurer
So, been doing a bit more thinking about the rear tire rack. If I was to do something like the truck in post #26 would you guys think a good starting point would be a forklift mast? Essentially it is similar, though opposite (extends down not up so would need some rework). There is a place within driving distance that sells used forklift parts and I can get the mast at what seems a reasonable cost. Could possibly solve the sliding portion of that rack.

I've gone back to this plan. I looked at tail lift assemblies, but there's a lot going on with them. I have rollers etc out of ag balers that we sell and service here, so plan to make my mast out of 100 x 50 C section. If you're considering the mast, look at the small walk behind electric pallet mast trucks. They have a small profile lightweight mast, and more often than not use a 24v electric pump/motor setup. This would give you all you need.

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Kind of just dawned on me. One of the reasons I had thought a hinged rack that swings down would not work was that the 45 degree angle on the back of our truck is much smaller than all the trucks I see this kind of lift with (the arm would be too short to swing to the ground if the pivot point was at the chassis level). Then it finally occurred to me, I am planning on rear cargo boxes that follow that 45 degree angle down about another foot then blending into a shallower angle to the tire well. Why not put the pivot point below the chassis frame inline with the bottom of the 45 degree on the cargo box. Would give me the length a pivoting rack would need and bring it closer to the ground. I think this will work and plan on running it by a fabricator this morning. Might have to mock up a design using wood.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles