Motorcycle on back of Expedition truck

cameronsturgess

I am trying to design a Fuso based expedition truck that potentially can carry a dual sport (KTM 350), two mountain bikes and a spare tire on the rear. The total composites box will be mounted on a subframe. The rear panel of the composite box has some structural in it, but not enough to carry a 400-500lb rack and then the 350+30+30+150= 560lb of bikes/tire. This is my first expedition truck build so pardon my questions. if there are links I should follow please let me know. I would very much appreciate some guidance from those who have been thru this and lived with a dual sport on their truck. Here is what I have looked at so far:

Option one : crane and winch

Extend the subframe out 2-3 feet to form a platform that can hold the spare tire and bike. Mount a rack against the back wall of the truck to hold the mountain bikes. Install a winch that swings out to load the KTM onto the platform. Adds 50 lbs to subframe and 150lbs for rack on back 50 lbs for winch.. 250 lbs total

Advantage

When ktm is not on the back I can mount the mtn bikes on the platform. Potentially the platform can be slid back into the subframe making it extend less out the back. Large platform on back of truck.. 250lbs

Challenges

300 lb motorcycle swinging on winch cable is definitely a two person job and could be dangerous. ??? mountain bikes are way up there .. not easy to remove or load.

Option two : MX hauler + lighter rack

Mount MX hauler onto subframe. It will need to be mounted high so that the approach angle is not reduced. Mount a lighter Frame onto back of truck to hold the mtn bikes. Rear bumper will hold the spare tire. Adds 150lb to rack on back, 80 lbs for Mx + extensions to raise it. Total 230lbs

Advantage

MX hauler lowers the bike easily with one person.. easier to get off than on. Could be lighter than having a subframe that extends out.. 230 lbs

Challenges

Won’t lower all the way to ground so bike will drop off and need to be wrestled up onto the platform. MX hauler will slop around when offroading unless there is a way to stop bike from rocking back and forth. mountain bikes are high up .. hard to load and unload

Option three : Hydralift (or equivalent)

Mount Hydralift onto frame of truck. Mount a lighter Frame onto back of truck to hold the mtn bikes. Rear bumper will hold the spare tire. It is incredibly heavy at 600lbs plus frame on back of truck at 150 lbs.. total 750 lbs ..

Advantage

Easy for one person to load bike on and off.

Challenges

Its pretty bulky so the approach angle will be reduced. It is incredibly heavy at 750 lbs ..

Option four : vertically sliding lift for entire back of truck

Mount vertically sliding rack to subframe so most of the load is applied vertically to subframe.. rack will be held against composite box, hopefully only dealing with side to side/front to back loads from off roading forces.

Advantage

Easy for one person to load bike on and off. Mtn bikes are low and easy to remove, load. Tire can roll off.. easiest loading for sure.

Challenges

Its pretty bulky at 400 lbs, not sure if the forces will be transferred to composite box, if so don’t know how long it will hold up. if it ever jams it would be a total mess.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.47.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.47.27 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.46.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.46.13 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.44.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.44.23 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.43.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.43.33 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 89
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 3.18.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 3.18.22 PM.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 82

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I dread the thought of a large bike on the back.
I built a custom lift/rack for the small honda trail (about 200# wet) and while it does great, I just wouldnt trust it for long term permanent use.

48047551301_8e6b6ac7e5_b.jpg

Have you considered a cross-body box to house the bike?
That is the direction I went with the new truck. Bed is almost done.... but not quite...
But the front box is big enough to house a small moto (handlebars swivel)
Weather-tight, secure, and doesnt hang all that weight off the rear. Pushes it forward, more where it belongs.

48047609893_9127607e04_b.jpg

gatorgrizz27

I’m a little confused as to all of the complexity. You should be able to build a platform sturdy enough to hold the weight of the KTM, mountain bikes, and spare tire that weighs under 100 lbs.

How high would the bottom of the platform be off the ground? If it’s 3-4’ it’s easy enough to just ride it up there or walk next to it working the throttle and clutch. You’ll need something to step up on and a wheel chock helps to catch and hold it while you get straps on.

How heavy is the spare tire and wheel? I’d be tempted to build the platform to be hinged and fold down from the back of the truck. The tire could be mounted to the underside of the platform if it wouldn’t hang down too far with the bikes loaded. The ramp to load the dirt bike could double to roll the tire up onto the carrier. If you’ve got a particularly difficult section, and the tire is light and small enough to manhandle, it might fit lying flat on the folded down platform under the frame of the KTM.

Let me know if it seems feasible but a sketch would help.

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
I don't have the pictures in this Computer, but Google "Red Ant Motorcycle Carrier" in the US Patents Web Site.
(I did post up pictures of it, during construction, in another thread in this Forum somewhere.)
I worked at the factory back in the early 70's making them.

For my needs I built a scaled up version for my Class A motorhome, so I can carry my 1200 cc Yamaha Tenere'.
IT WORKS REALLY WELl!
Easy to load, because the bike rail swings out at the front tire side and lowers as it swings out to make a ramp.
The pivot is a 1" grade 8 bolt at a 10 degree angle that lowers the carrier rail to a 20 degree down angle at 180 degree as it swing out.
I rarely need that much swing out.

My mods include a small electric winch (2000 lb) to pull the bike up the rail/ ramp then I strap down the bike to the rail. Then move the winch cable and use it to pull the bike and rail back up to the horizontal to lock it all down to the back of the vehicle well off the ground. The best part is you don't have to motor the bike up the ramp. Just tap the remote winch control while holding both handgrips on the bike.

I have 3- 2" reciever hitches on the back of my Motorcoach. The two outer recievers attach the bike carrier and I can still pull a trailer using a short extension and a trailer hitch. (Of course I have to make sure not to exceed the GVWR of my Coach. I usually flat tow my expedition rig.)

PM me if you want more explaination and pictures.
Adding a bicycle carrier and spare tire would be easy with this set up.

If your rig is taller off the ground than the back of my coach, a short ramp would make loading easier for a taller behicle.
Yea, I worked it out, and built one because I can't always gaurentee I'll be parked on level ground.

I am trying to design a Fuso based expedition truck that potentially can carry a dual sport (KTM 350), two mountain bikes and a spare tire on the rear. The total composites box will be mounted on a subframe. The rear panel of the composite box has some structural in it, but not enough to carry a 400-500lb rack and then the 350+30+30+150= 560lb of bikes/tire. This is my first expedition truck build so pardon my questions. if there are links I should follow please let me know. I would very much appreciate some guidance from those who have been thru this and lived with a dual sport on their truck. Here is what I have looked at so far:

Option one : crane and winch

Extend the subframe out 2-3 feet to form a platform that can hold the spare tire and bike. Mount a rack against the back wall of the truck to hold the mountain bikes. Install a winch that swings out to load the KTM onto the platform. Adds 50 lbs to subframe and 150lbs for rack on back 50 lbs for winch.. 250 lbs total

Advantage

When ktm is not on the back I can mount the mtn bikes on the platform. Potentially the platform can be slid back into the subframe making it extend less out the back. Large platform on back of truck.. 250lbs

Challenges

300 lb motorcycle swinging on winch cable is definitely a two person job and could be dangerous. ??? mountain bikes are way up there .. not easy to remove or load.

Option two : MX hauler + lighter rack

Mount MX hauler onto subframe. It will need to be mounted high so that the approach angle is not reduced. Mount a lighter Frame onto back of truck to hold the mtn bikes. Rear bumper will hold the spare tire. Adds 150lb to rack on back, 80 lbs for Mx + extensions to raise it. Total 230lbs

Advantage

MX hauler lowers the bike easily with one person.. easier to get off than on. Could be lighter than having a subframe that extends out.. 230 lbs

Challenges

Won’t lower all the way to ground so bike will drop off and need to be wrestled up onto the platform. MX hauler will slop around when offroading unless there is a way to stop bike from rocking back and forth. mountain bikes are high up .. hard to load and unload

Option three : Hydralift (or equivalent)

Mount Hydralift onto frame of truck. Mount a lighter Frame onto back of truck to hold the mtn bikes. Rear bumper will hold the spare tire. It is incredibly heavy at 600lbs plus frame on back of truck at 150 lbs.. total 750 lbs ..

Advantage

Easy for one person to load bike on and off.

Challenges

Its pretty bulky so the approach angle will be reduced. It is incredibly heavy at 750 lbs ..

Option four : vertically sliding lift for entire back of truck

Mount vertically sliding rack to subframe so most of the load is applied vertically to subframe.. rack will be held against composite box, hopefully only dealing with side to side/front to back loads from off roading forces.

Advantage

Easy for one person to load bike on and off. Mtn bikes are low and easy to remove, load. Tire can roll off.. easiest loading for sure.

Challenges

Its pretty bulky at 400 lbs, not sure if the forces will be transferred to composite box, if so don’t know how long it will hold up. if it ever jams it would be a total mess.
Wow, what a build! I am close to buying the Ultimate MX Hauler. My bike weighs 280# and all the other racks and mounts that I looked at, this one seemed the best. Did you find a way to keep it from slopping around off road? Tie downs? My solution for wrestling the bike off a platform that doesn't lower enough is to back up to a hill!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles