Motorcycle carrier on FRONT of truck?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So I posted a question on Amazon regarding both the Curt and the Reese front receivers:

Here is a response on the Reese:

"Front angle of approach is reduced on a unlifted 4x4 vehicle. Is between 4 to 6 inches, depending on the vehicle. Lower under load. I have a front set up with a “tray” that folds up to the front grill, forming a part-time brush guard, with about a inch or two of clearance to the front grill. A modicum of common sense, and forethought off road is required, for prudent vehicle operation. A cringe causing scrapping noise is a audible reminder, if you guess wrong. No damage has resulted thus far. Parking, and parking lots. Beware of curb heights! It’s not good. Head in parking requires MORE space. Don’t be that guy."

Here was one response on the Curt unit:

"Fits my 2019 F150 4x4 perfectly. I use it for my dirt bike hitch trailer. When I’m not using it I Bolted my front license plate to a hitch thing. Plenty of room."

Based on these reviews, my inclination is to go ahead and get the Curt front receiver and see if it will work. It's not a permanent mod so if I don't like it I can pull it off and try something different. Nice thing about the most popular truck in America is that it's easy to find aftermarket products for it!

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
You keep changing your mind. I’ll say from all my experience off road and fabbing stuff I’d go with the hidden winch mount.

I have a hitch mounted cargo carrier that traveled in Mexico to the Copper Canyon and back. It was stable and rattle free with the simple addition of some chain/hooks/turnbuckles from each corner to the bumper. Probably only added a minute to install/removal.

billiebob

Well, looking into it now but the front hitch seems to come with a huge drawback: A not-insignificant loss of ground clearance.

Here is a screenshot from an Amazon review:

View attachment 694773

Obviously I could put a lift on the truck but man, that thing hangs low. I suppose if I wanted to I could just remove the front receiver when I don't need it. But I envision digging that receiver into the ground on even a mild off road trail.
Obviously not built for a rock crawling four wheeler.... this one is built for the guy hauling his scooter to the go kart track...
God Bless America for building for everyone.

ps this is not the one for you

billiebob

Heres a standard snow plow attachment on a TJ. if you want to bolt anything on the front or back it will likely have a negative effect on approach or departure angles.

IMG_2872.jpeg

pith helmet

I was thinking more like the one I have. It is made of full 1/4” plate and flat on the bottom. With a good weld you could hang more weight off of it than would ever be safe to drive with. A 250 would be nothing. Not a permanent feature either, though on mine I had to cut some plastic to install.
iIf you don’t have it already, you might consider a leveling kit in addition to beefier suspension Good luck and post some pics of what you end up going with. 29078069-1E23-4583-8768-E91E3A3C8278.jpeg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I was thinking more like the one I have. It is made of full 1/4” plate and flat on the bottom. With a good weld you could hang more weight off of it than would ever be safe to drive with. A 250 would be nothing. Not a permanent feature either, though on mine I had to cut some plastic to install.
iIf you don’t have it already, you might consider a leveling kit in addition to beefier suspension Good luck and post some pics of what you end up going with. View attachment 695069

So that looks like it sticks out from the bumper - how does it attach to the frame? Do you have pictures of what it looks like without the winch on it?

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
You keep changing your mind. I’ll say from all my experience off road and fabbing stuff I’d go with the hidden winch mount.

Yeah, that's how I make decisions on major changes. Consider a lot of options, go back and forth a few times, etc. Just like when I was shopping for my new truck. I was all over the place, first Ford, then Dodge, then GM, and then back to Ford.

I always like to start with the easiest/simplest/cheapest option first. If that doesn't work I can ratchet up the level of investment as needed.

Looking at some of the E-trailer and Amazon reviews, it appears that some people have modified the front receiver mounts to sit higher. It involves drilling new mounting holes and bending/trimming some of the metal on the mount. Still would likely be easier & quicker than fabricating a new mount based on a hidden winch mount though.

Decisions, decisions...

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Simple decision for me: nothing hanging lower that stock. It would cause nightmares. I’d definitely add stronger springs too. Maybe an airbag inside the coil spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pith helmet

So that looks like it sticks out from the bumper - how does it attach to the frame? Do you have pictures of what it looks like without the winch on it?
i dont, and unfortunately the truck is getting a new transmission at the moment so I cant offer any other angles either. it does stick out too far to be the ideal solution though.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
One of the nice things about having good back-and-forth discussions like this is that it makes me start to re-think a lot of my assumptions about what we NEED to carry and how we carry it.

I was thinking about that today as I went out to get gas and it sort of hit me with a bit of a shock to consider, but here goes:

Maybe I'm WAAAY overthinking this whole "front end carrier" thing? Maybe there's a super simple solution that (a) won't affect on- or off-road performance, (b) won't require ANY modifications to either the truck OR the trailer, and (c) is easier, safer, and more secure than any receiver-type carrier.

What it WOULD require is an "adjustment" in how we camp. And that option is.....

F150 new 02.jpg

Ditch the topper and carry the bike diagonally in the bed.

Of course, I originally ruled this out because we carry camping gear back there (besides, especially in Winter I like having that gigantic 'trunk' to keep stuff dry and secure.)

But the more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

I probably didn' tmention this, but one of the reasons I put the topper on in the first place is that we used to always carry 2 hard-sided kayaks with us. The topper (or some kind of rack) was necessary to carry the 'yaks as well as a lot of our other gear (cook stove, pop-up canopies, our E-bikes, etc.)

This was how we usually rolled:

F150 03.jpg

But, at the end of this season, my wife finally decided that as much as she liked her 65lb sit-on-top kayak for fishing, her shoulders and back could no longer hoist the thing up or down. So she sold the big kayak and got an inflatable. I still have my much lighter (probably 30lbs) sit-in yak (the blue one in the picture above) but I'd be happy to ditch it if it meant I could bring my bike.

So without the 'yaks, the main justification for the topper was - it helps us carry more crap.

But....what if we found a way to carry LESS crap? Thinking about it, some of the stuff we carry in the truck we don't necessarily need. An extra propane cooker, and other assorted junk that we take along because "heck, we have room for it so why not?"

If I could put the DR into the bed diagonally, and also carry a folding ramp, then I'll bet we could carry what few items we actually need to carry - the camp cooker, the CLAM tent, a pop-up canopy, and what I call the "dirty box" that has things like a hatchet, canvas bucket, tent stakes, ratchet straps, etc - in the bed next to the bike.

The fact that this choice might force us to bring less STUFF when we go camping? Well, as the software geeks like to say, "That's not a BUG, it's a FEATURE."

The folding E-bikes could go inside the trailer (they'll fit, they're just not fun to maneuver around) where they'll be protected from the weather. The other stuff that goes in the bed - the propane stove, the canopies, the water jug - is stuff that won't get damaged by getting wet.

And BTW I wouldn't entirely get rid of the topper. I'd likely make a scaffolding in the yard to set it on during the Summer. At the end of camping season I'd put it back on for the winter (I DO like having it in the winter, it keeps stuff dry and secure and puts a little more weight on the rear wheels.)

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more I think it's the way to go. Simple and easy, and if it helps us carry less stuff, then so much the better (and losing the probably ~250lbs that the topper weighs is also a nice bonus)2019-08-24 10.46.30-1.jpg

Last edited:

Thunderkat1

Personally, with a 200cc I would switch to an electric mountain bike - obviously not a high speed choice but from a weight standpoint and access to amazing bike trails it a winner. my .02

Flyelk1

If an ebike is an option for you, I would agree with Thunderkat 100%!. Ebikes are absolute game changers in my opinion. Easy to transport, easy to maintain, no registration or insurance and no oil/upkeep as drastic as a motorcycle.

For me, if it’s just for rides around camp on trails and transport after camp is set around the area, it’s ebikes all the way. With only a couple of exceptions, I ditched the front hitch carrier with motorcycle and went ebike last year. No regrets.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Personally, with a 200cc I would switch to an electric mountain bike - obviously not a high speed choice but from a weight standpoint and access to amazing bike trails it a winner. my .02
If an ebike is an option for you, I would agree with Thunderkat 100%!. Ebikes are absolute game changers in my opinion. Easy to transport, easy to maintain, no registration or insurance and no oil/upkeep as drastic as a motorcycle.

For me, if it’s just for rides around camp on trails and transport after camp is set around the area, it’s ebikes all the way. With only a couple of exceptions, I ditched the front hitch carrier with motorcycle and went ebike last year. No regrets.

We actually already have Ebikes. We got the Lectric folding models.

However, an Ebike and a motorcycle are not comparable, not really. We rarely put more than 3 - 4 miles at a time on our Ebikes. On a motorcycle I expect to routinely put 50 - 60 miles in a day's use and that's more than a full charge on the Ebikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles