Motor change

I can't get the block to tighten up to the bell housing on my 98 grand Cherokee 4.0
Any advice and or help with the installation lol will be accepted

Attachments

• 0308191655~2.jpg
    0308191655~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

rho

Lost again
There are some dowel pins that go between the transmission bell-housing and block, are those binding at all? or is there a wire harness or something in the way?

It was a massive pain to get my transmission and motor lined up on my JKU when i replaced the transmission it last year, biggest was just getting those dowel pins lined up.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Absolutely check for pin damage or alignment first.

Then check for interfering harnesses or tubing (as noted above).

If you don’t have fine control on your lifting device, I.E. a chain-fall hoist with one of those “engine tilt” devices and a floor jack under the tranny to tilt it nose up... then... sometimes, making 4 or 6” studs out of all thread and using nuts to pull the alignment together slowly can work... but you’ll hate yourself if you don’t buy a ratcheting wrench.

Also, make sure your torque converter or pilot shaft aren’t binding or destroying the seals!

The dowels are lined up I got bolts in but I shouldn't be putting as much elbow grease into tightening them as I am I think I may have only turned the torque converter twice when reinstalling it because I'm only about a half inch from where it needs to be

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I am not recommending this, try it at your own risk!

An even sketchier trick, but sometimes works, is to put tension between the engine and trans with a ratchet strap and then shake the hell out of it. If you have tiny misalignment, the shaking corrects it and the strap tension pulls stuff together.

In general though, given your description, I would pull the engine out and verify everything before trying again.

You will probably find rubbing marks somewhere that identify the problem.

Most of the time I have this issue it is because the tranny is slightly nose down and the engine is slightly nose up. Figure out how to pivot the front of tranny up slightly, sometimes as little as 1/8 or - 1/4” does the trick. Maybe have someone pull down on the tail shaft housing?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior