Moto Food Suggestions

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I'll be heading out for a 5 day run from Boulder, Co to Moab via back roads, mountain passes and the RimRocker Trail camping along the way. Looking for suggestions for camp meals that can be carried on the bike. I'll have the usual backpacker kitchen of a stove, titanium pots, fire pit grill, spices, oil, cutlery, etc. I've done the soups, noodle, tuna packet, chicken packet, frozen to grilled steak/sausage/pork steaks, freeze dried backpacker foods stuff, looking for any yummy suggestions that you've done while Moto camping, that can be carried, unrefrigerated on the back of my KLR. Thanks!

jgaz

Adventurer
Check out this site

The article is written by a chef? that is making meals for her husband who is an avid backpacker.
I liked her focus on putting 7 days of meals in a bear canister.

I have enjoyed some of her meals, especially the oatmeal varieties.
My wife says I have no imagination when it comes to backpacking food and this article helped.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Check out this site

The article is written by a chef? that is making meals for her husband who is an avid backpacker.

My wife says I have no imagination when it comes to backpacking food and this article helped.

Excellent suggestion! Thanks.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Check out this site

Got some great foodstuff ideas from this article that I'll incorporate into my menu and picked up a box of mountain house food from Costco, so other then grabbing a steak on the road for a campfire dinner I should be good. Thanks

gatorgrizz27

I think you’ve got a good start, especially if you want the focus to be on the trip rather than cooking a gourmet meal every time you need to eat. We did a 7 day backpack hunting trip last fall and my food was a Clif bar for breakfast, beef jerky and goldfish crackers for a morning snack, summer sausage tortilla or peanut butter and bacon bagel for lunch, some nuts and a honey stinger gel for an afternoon snack, and a mountain house meal for dinner.

I enjoyed all the food rather than having to force myself to eat, and it was nice to just boil a cup of water after a long day. When car camping I tend to cook similarly to how I do at home (steak, baked potato, asparagus, etc), and find myself wondering what’s the point of hauling a bunch of stuff out there and dealing with a makeshift kitchen to eat the same thing I do most nights?

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Everything is yummy at the end of a long day. With that said simple, fast, and easy will be your focus by the end of your trip. Gourmet meals are a nice thought but short-lived traveling solo IMO. In the past I have been so tired at the end of a long day I found a cold can of beef stew to be wonderful.

Too much planning reduces options.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Well, 5 days, 4 nights and 1100 miles we managed to eat a lot of meals on the trail. Really enjoyed the freeze dried spaghetti, beef stew, breakfast scramble, biscuits and gravy and tortillas made everything into a yummy burrito. Morning consisted of oatmeal with crumbled Clif bar and Starbucks instant coffee (excellent). Mid morning snack was small trail mix, peanut butter crackers. Lunch was either packet tuna/chicken and crackers or some small town cafe. We certainly earned our appetite on some of the RimRocker trails! A couple of nights we got run into our tents due to hungry flies and mosquitoes and just ate inside. All and all, we never went hungry and had a hell of a time. Cheers.

StarbucksIMG_20190718_192155684.jpg

IMG_20190719_210037133.jpgIMG_20190721_055739387.jpgIMG_20190722_065243152.jpg3AF3677E-54BD-4914-95B7-116259F91A48.jpegT54D9BF37-C042-444D-9119-8A72BDA3D216.jpeg

Last edited:

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer

Here's how i did some low energy req to make food. I've done chili spaghetti and a wack of veggies to be able to add to whatever you want. Bonus it's cheaper than MTN HOUSE,WISE,etc freeze dried. Vac sealed like I do they keep approximately 2 yrs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles