Mother in law van

nonhog

Observer
My mother in law has decided to try van life and is searching for a high top to mod into a living space. Sell her home and hit the road. She is looking at a Wheel chair access van now and I wonder if it might be a good start for her to design and build a interior that fills her needs. She is handy and crafty and with not much outside help can handle the mods.
I'm not sure if the mods on a wheel chair lift lend themselves to a conversion.
And its a E350 5.4 that has me wondering if that is a wise move. Doesn't have to be that van but its a high top already and her cash is limited.
2006 E350 as described above w/100K $8999 worth looking into or keep looking?
link .... (if its o.k.?) ..... https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ned&sortDirection=undefined#listing=209640420

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
I have a 1976 Ford Club Wagon (window van) that was professionally converted to a camper. Glass all around. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. Fine for weekending, but I would never start with a window van to build a full-timer.

I picked up a 1999 E-250 with a Triton 5.4 V8 with 250k miles that still runs good (bought it to serve as a rolling toolbox). I looked for about a year before I bought it. Saw lots of them with >200k miles. So 100k miles probably has a lot of life left on it.

Removing all that wheelchair machinery will be a major pain.

I would say start with an extended body E-350 cargo van. Building it out is a lot easier than stripping it out then building it. Plus the couple grand she'd save off the price could go to a fiberglass roof. A proper campertop like a Fiberine.

Though seriously...for someone going to full-time in the thing, I'd say buy a professionally built Class B RV instead. I'm in the market for a generator for an old RV I'm restoring. I have a Craig's List search setup for "onan". I just happened to open it up yesterday and spotted this...

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/rvs/d/1992-coachmen-saratoga-rb/6726875948.html

Yea I know...the budget. But if she is going to sell the house, then she can buy a decent rig that is already done up right and will be good to go with all the amenities.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My gut feeling is that 9k is a lot for what you’d want to keep or that van. In her shoes I’d consider an ambo or an RV which could be built to suit her needs.

My own bias is a type 3 Ambulance. They already are insulated and have plenty of storage. Throw in a bed, microwave, fridge, and a potty and she’ll be gone.

With the design, consider how it’ll be used. Does she want a cabin she can move around when she gets bored of a location or more of a sleeper to crash in while on the road moving all the time? Likely somewhere in between... but where will determine design requirements.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Here’s an example. https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/cto/d/1998-e350-ambulance/6707070899.html
1998, 7.3 diesel, 220k mile (nothing for a 7.3), trans recently serviced... $6700 CDN (-30% = $5200 ish USD)

CC0C3048-CF53-4ADD-94AC-021823FBA47E.jpeg500CBE2A-83CE-4769-A506-095A8BE783FB.jpeg

I’ve got a ‘97 Crestline just like it. They are beautiful to drive and get decent fuel economy. Maintenance in the last five years for mine has been: Alternator, Fuel filter, glow-plug relay, brakes, shocks, springs (after 200k miles), tires to replace what came on it... nothing overly expensive on unusual.

nonhog

Observer
Thanks for the reply's She is just starting to look but knows she wants to be able to stand up. Last I heard she doesn't want windows.
She mentioned stealth so I need to confirm privacy or street camping (unnoticed)?
Personally I hate not being able to see my blind spot, mirrors are great but I am a creature of habit love my glass at least on the RH side.
She would give me the wheelchair ramp for using in my shop?
Just looked at a conversion Chevy (90 sumthin?) w/ a high top I can get super cheap. Might see what she thinks about that.

nonhog

Observer
Thanks sambot!
I am not telling her about the Chevy Gladiator I am dragging home. I want to evaluate it first. Heck it might replace my Safari?

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I’d buy the 98 for similar money and similar mileage. There’s a reason the 6.0s owner has dumped $8k into it... I was talking to an ambulance attendant a while back, his budy has a few Ford Excursions for his business, $48k in repairs in one month. When they need injectors... $8k in these parts and they only last 100k miles in some cases.

In comparison 7.3 injectors are $1500-2000 and they can last 500k miles - a million miles. There’s a reason 7.3s have an awesome reputation... and 6.0s not so much.

Now many are happy with their 6.0s... and I’ve never owned one, so take it for what it is.

nonhog

Observer
So I got the Gladiator home. Thrill ride!
Died several times and is now in the front yard and not starting.
I suspect fuel pump. Not keeping this one.

Len.Barron

Observer
She is looking at a Wheel chair access van now and I wonder if it might be a good start for her to design and build a interior that fills her needs.
I'm not sure if the mods on a wheel chair lift lend themselves to a conversion.
And its a E350 5.4 that has me wondering if that is a wise move.
2006 E350 as described above w/100K $8999 worth looking into or keep looking?
link .... (if its o.k.?) ..... https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...ned&sortDirection=undefined#listing=209640420
In general I'd say they are about $1500 overpriced(there are a lot of 12-15yr old E350's out there), but, having the easy in steps for the front door and the extended height barn doors on the side are really nice for getting in/out without stooping. Removing the lift takes all of 45mins...it's heavy but simple. Most wheel chair vans already have a good subfloor installed so that's work you don't have to do...I'm a window van guy so to me a passenger van is a plus, you can always use some reflectix cut outs/dark tint for insulation/privacy.
The ad says 6' interior height, that's just flat wrong...maybe 5' with that shorter high-top on it...you need at least a 20" tall hightop to get close to 6' interior height.
A 5.4 with only 100k miles should go another 150k with no problem...I'm a GM guy but there's no arguing these 5.4's are good motors and I think by 06 they all have the 5sp trans..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles