Most economical way carry two to five gallons of extra fuel on a JK.

Pinelogcreek

Observer
Clarification

Just for clarification it appears JCSHERB did design and license the products he is describing/promoting here. While I feel he makes awesome designs and am looking into purchasing one of his licensed trailer designs let's put all the cards on the table. As for carrying fuel I would use a cheap hitch from the junk yard and a harbor freight carrier. All of this could be had for 75.00 on a bad day.

http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-438-page-48.html
http://http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-438-page-48.html

grogie

Like to Camp
I'm not saying that any extra gas is not smart, but only two to five extra gallons would worry me if I seriously thought that I'd need it. I was roaming around Utah last September and I noticed several pickups with multiple five gallon containers in their beds. :)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
A concept image of something I'm working on... a jerry can/NATO can carrier that mounts to the heavy-duty hinges that were discussed earlier in this thread.

JerryLow_zps0b4f8a27.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm eagerly awaiting the release of your hinges.
I talked to MOR/Ryde yesterday, the latest update is that they're in the final stages of discussion with one of the Jeep catalogs, seems likely that'll be one of the places the hinges and the jerry can carriers will be sold.

GFA

Adventurer
So by replacing the stock hinges with these what will it do for us in terms of carrying capacity? I know the hinges will be able to hold more weight but what about the tailgate itself and the tire carrier bolted to it? Will it be ok to support a 35" tire?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
So by replacing the stock hinges with these what will it do for us in terms of carrying capacity? I know the hinges will be able to hold more weight but what about the tailgate itself and the tire carrier bolted to it? Will it be ok to support a 35" tire?

I would say any tire that fits on the stock tire carrier with the stock bumper in place would be fine as long as the snubbers are doing their job, see post #29 of this thread.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!

That's why I like teraflex design. It re enforces the whole tailgate for stiffness. That's why I am still leaning towards it, the extra money I feel is worth it.

Bennyhana

Adventurer
I've found that a trasharoo will hold a full 5 gallon can with no problem. Used it to haul one on a trail run worked like a champ.

userfehler

A concept image of something I'm working on... a jerry can/NATO can carrier that mounts to the heavy-duty hinges that were discussed earlier in this thread.

JerryLow_zps0b4f8a27.jpg

I had a similar idea but then gave up on it as there is not enough space to fit a Jerry can/NATO can between anything bigger than a 33'' tire and the tail lights in such a way that the tail gate can still be fully opened without the jerry can smashing into the lights.

So I now have a 4 Gal Rotopax mounted to the Teraflex carrier.
10648402_10204660536460841_5511580145327297663_o.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I had a similar idea but then gave up on it as there is not enough space to fit a Jerry can/NATO can between anything bigger than a 33'' tire and the tail lights in such a way that the tail gate can still be fully opened without the jerry can smashing into the lights.

That's correct - with larger spares there isn't enough room to avoid the can hitting the lights when the tailgate is fully open.

Depending on the size of the spare, there jerry can carrier might have to mount far enough to the right on the hinges that it would interfere with the tail light when the tailgate opens. I've got two solutions for that. One solution would be optional stops that would install in the hinges, limiting their opening to 90 degrees, which would prevent the can from contacting the light.

The other option I've designed into the brackets - the brackets are reversible to mount the can above the tail light. A concept drawing:

JerryHigh_zps79b82e6d.jpg

Here are the mockup poster board brackets shown in both the low and high positions, also shown with both the low-profile and the higher can trays.

HingeMountJerry1_zpsb68968d7.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles