Most affordable, fuel efficient 4x4 set up

Hey Everyone,

New to the forum from Alberta Canada, I currently just have a Mazda CX-5 that I have been exploring in for the last three years which has been ok. I am currently looking for a new set up and was hoping to get some suggestions for setups and the pros and cons. I am kind of leaning towards a truck and some kind of canopy (maybe custom (any suggestions on fabricators in Alberta?) Below is my criteria

- Affordable - about $40000 max Canadian
- Fairly fuel efficient as I typically have to drive a few hours to spots
- 4x4 for offroad and snow
- Be able to sleep in - Two people and a small dog
- Be able to keep most gear in it so i can hit the road any time
- Entire setup has to be under 7' as my only parking spot is in a parkade

Thanks in advance! Alsio if you want check out my instagram account @roveadventures

vartz04

Adventurer
GMC Canyon all terrain or Chevy Colorado z71. Get the diesel and the Crew Cab with the long bed. Also will need a topper for the back. Depending on your size and the wife and the dogs size you could build a platform above the wheel wells. And have a 6+’ long by 52ish inch wide sleeping platform.

The z71 has a msrp of just over $41k in that configuration so you should be able to get it under $40k. If not you could get the LT and it be around $38k. Or look for used.

It gets great mileage (25-30 mpg highway) and can handle towing 7700 lbs.

The ranger is also an option but you can’t get the long bed with the crew cab. Toyota real world gas mileage is not that great in the Tacoma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow thanks for everyone's reply, I did consider a Subaru outback but just feel like there would not be enough room. Also considering a f 150 as they are pretty cheap right now, but with just the 3.3L gas (Anyone have experience with the 3.3L engine?) Also considering gas Colorado or Canyon if a can find a fairly cheap pop up canopy/shell, the diesel would be nice but up here in Canada they go closer to $50000. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Explorerinil

Observer
Wow thanks for everyone's reply, I did consider a Subaru outback but just feel like there would not be enough room. Also considering a f 150 as they are pretty cheap right now, but with just the 3.3L gas (Anyone have experience with the 3.3L engine?) Also considering gas Colorado or Canyon if a can find a fairly cheap pop up canopy/shell, the diesel would be nice but up here in Canada they go closer to $50000. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!
I think the Colorado would be too small to sleep in, I’m 6’3 and it’s tight in the back of my full-size ram. Why not a tundra or Nissan with the cummins if your going half ton route? I got an 18 f150 for work... that amount of problems that thing has makes me surprised anyone would own one.

I think the Colorado would be too small to sleep in, I’m 6’3 and it’s tight in the back of my full-size ram. Why not a tundra or Nissan with the cummins if your going half ton route? I got an 18 f150 for work... that amount of problems that thing has makes me surprised anyone would own one.

Agreed the the Colorado would be too small to sleep in, I would need something like the GFC camper or OVRLND Pop Top. The only real reason i am considering a f-150 is the price I can get a F 150 super cab 4x4 for about $32000 new and low interest rate. Would like a Tundra or Nissan with the cummins but up here in Canada the Tundra starts at about $45000 and the nissan with the the cummins starts at about $60000........... At this point I am still considering all options though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier