(More) Ouachita Natty Forest, Feb 13/14, 2010

Still needing to recon the southern sections of the trail for the group run, I set off out of Hot Springs late Saturday and headed north, hoping to make Plainview via USFS roads by mid-afternoon on Sunday.

ZA5070.jpg

Today's Route

I grabbed a quick night's rest at Lake Ouachita State Park. I generally don't like staying in improved areas, but considering that no one else was around, it was right on my path into the mtns, and was stunningly beautiful, I figured, what the hay. I'm certainly glad I did...
IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

Sunset

IMG_0636.jpg

Sunrise... and time to hit the trail!

IMG_0641.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

Still a little bit of snow around from last week's "big" event.

More to follow...

(More) Ouachita Natty Forest, Feb 13/14, 2010 (cont.)

The day was pretty much all about route denial, which kept me totally frustrated most of the time. :mad: First, it was the trees:

See, this part of the country doesn't get a lot of snow; it gets ice. When 1/2" of ice builds up on trees in this shallow and rocky soil, they like to fall down.

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg

Some, I simply pushed on through, adding to the plethora of backcountry pinstripes already on my truck.

IMG_0656.jpg

Others, I thought it'd be nice to remove to stop lazy people from rutting up the surrounding area. (Evidenced as already starting to the left in these pics.)
IMG_0657.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

Sometimes, it just wasn't worth my trouble to try, as the deadfall went on and on as far as I could see.

IMG_0668.jpg

And finally, even when I tried, Mother Nature just giggled and said, "Nice try, kiddo." (This behemoth didn't so much as flinch... detour time.)

IMG_0670.jpg

(Gratuitous sexy truck pic. :D Wow, I love my truck.)

More to follow...

And if it wasn't the trees being down, it was the gates in the way! These things are everywhere down here in the Ouachitas.
I think it's all for the big leases of the Weyerhaeuser paper company tree farms.

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

But I learned a little trick about these gates, ya see: much of the time, they're not even locked! :wings:
Funny what a quick inspection will offer ya!
IMG_0687.jpg

Check out the tire treads in the mud.... it's like magic:
Go Go Gadget Invisible Tacoma

IMG_0680.jpg

Even snow-covered, collapsed culverts tried to stop my progress.

And the final obstacle of the day, the water crossing...

(Gotta call Wil and get that snorkel!)

Through all the delays, I did manage to confirm where night one will be spent:
IMG_0675.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

And I tested the spot by having some lunch: bread, cheese, and warm ale.
(Very medieval of me.)

IMG_0678.jpg

And by taking another gratuitous shot of the truck.

As the day wore on, it began to snow, and I had to get back toward the house...

Cool old (and some newer) bits of the area's history here and there...
IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Wildlife was out and about. Saw lots of deer and turkey.
IMG_0694.jpg

Then the snow really started falling...
IMG_0689.jpg

And within an hour, things were starting to get pretty beautiful.
IMG_0692.jpg

But, alas, I had to return home.
(After all, it was Valentine's Day, and I didn't want to be in trouble!)

IMG_0700.jpg

Airing up my new TreadWrights.
(FYI: they preformed beautifully after 80 miles of trail. Check here for more thoughts. I'll be updating the review regularly.)

IMG_0693.jpg

The roads home.
IMG_0703.jpg

Thanks for riding along!

stolenheron

Explorer
great pics. i've definitely had frustration in the past with dead fallen trees or even worse, freshly fallen giants in national forests. I also understand how annoying driving all day can be just to see a barricade in your way.

keep us updated on the exploring, sometimes its the recon which can be more fun than the trip itself. the excitement can lie within the surprise.

jim65wagon

Some nice looking countryside you have there! Thanks for the pics....at about 1100 miles from here, it looks like we'll have to plan a ONF trip in our future....another far off place added to the "Places to Visit" file!

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Some nice looking countryside you have there! Thanks for the pics....at about 1100 miles from here, it looks like we'll have to plan a ONF trip in our future....another far off place added to the "Places to Visit" file!

It really is a nice place. I've been hiking the Ouachita Trail in sections over the past year. A rugged, beautiful treasure that is unknown to most folks.

KMW

Thanks for the pics! I grew up in those woods and still make a couple of runs a year somewhere in the Ouachitas. I don't think I've ever been out there in the snow, what a great opportunity you had to see it like that.

Last edited:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
Thanks for the pics! I grew up in those woods and still make a couple of runs a year somewhere in the Ouachitas. I don't think I've ever been out there in the snow, what a great opportunity you had to see it like that.

As crazy as it sounds, go out there during an ice storm... absolutely spectacular..... just remember your camera, cuz' you will not get much else done that weekend. :elkgrin:

timaus13

Observer
Much Appreciated

Really enjoyed reading about your trip, Love the pictures and must admit I love snow driving here in Tasmania in Winter.

Cheers Mate
Gadgets:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94