More on FUSO suspension seats

GR8ADV

Explorer
My research continues. National of course is in the mix.
I recently discovered Ultra Seats out of Edmonton. Anybody have any experience with these? They are made for off road use and appear to be much more robust than the Nationals. T825c has about 2.5 inches of travel. Is this enough? The t845c has 4 inches, but could be a bit too tall for me. I like dual X bracket support and the dual slider rail locks. They also have their own compressor. With the exchange rate the T825C is under 800 shipped from Canada. For another 150 they will attach a nice 2 inch seatbelt to the seat. This would be especially nice for a 4 inch travel seat. http://www.ultraseat.com/index.php?page=shop&action=displaygrid&cat_id=33254&parent_id=23
Next is the Knoedler Extreme Low rider. Made to order out of Montreal. Much more pricey, but appear to be the best quality of the bunch. Around $1600 shipped. They claim to have a bracket to fit the FUSO. http://www.knoedler.com/index.php?o...oduct_id=29&virtuemart_category_id=8&Itemid=2

Last edited:

dlh62c

Explorer
If Knoedler has a bracket to fit the Fuso, can this bracket be utilized to mount any seats other than their own?

GR8ADV

Explorer

I do like the idea of adding ones own seat preference. For offroad and rough use I am not a fan of the supporting mechanism on the National seat bases vs the more robust dual X braced or dual scissor options supported on the sides. This would be no problem with straight up and down motion, for say on the highway, but for say lots of side to side rocking motion off road, I think it would put way too much stress on the center mounted assembly.

1221517-001.jpg
National_GMC_03_L.jpg

Last edited:

yabanja

Explorer
Hmmm.... Neither one is ideal due to the lack of space in the cab. I believe my 2000 year model may be even more lacking for headroom than the newer models.

lehel1

Adventurer
hello all

i just installed the knoedler extreme low rider in my 08 fg, mounted it directly to the floor. im on my way to the overland expo in north carolina, so far i love it. with the built in compressor all thats needed is to run a hot wire to the seat.

cheers lehel

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
I'll probably be ditching the National setup I've got, and going with the Stratos seats from EarthCruiser, when the build gets finalized.

The Nationals really aren't up to rough terrain use - they work, but also have godawful squeaks all the time. Really annoying, and then there's the additional height that I don't really want.

It'll be interesting to hear a long term review of that Knoedler seat setup you have, Lehel.....keep the updates coming please.

boostin

Adventurer
I'll probably be ditching the National setup I've got, and going with the Stratos seats from EarthCruiser, when the build gets finalized.

The Nationals really aren't up to rough terrain use - they work, but also have godawful squeaks all the time. Really annoying, and then there's the additional height that I don't really want.

It'll be interesting to hear a long term review of that Knoedler seat setup you have, Lehel.....keep the updates coming please.

Not sure if you know this but the national does have grease nipple s on the pivots

david506th

Adventurer
hello all

i just installed the knoedler extreme low rider in my 08 fg, mounted it directly to the floor. im on my way to the overland expo in north carolina, so far i love it. with the built in compressor all thats needed is to run a hot wire to the seat.

cheers lehel

I will be looking you up to check out those seats!

EAB

Observer
Thanks everyone for the info. I am looking for a set as well. I will be heading to OVEX east as well and would like to take a look at the kneelers as well.

GR8ADV

Explorer
Hmmm.... Neither one is ideal due to the lack of space in the cab. I believe my 2000 year model may be even more lacking for headroom than the newer models.

Surprising. Maybe it is a 2000 thing. The T825C is not a whole lot different than my FUSO suspension seat. (the FUSO mechanical versions work quite well once I figured out that they need to be unlocked to work. DOH!)

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Not sure if you know this but the national does have grease nipple s on the pivots

Yep, I do, and the pivots aren't the issue. The issue is the general looseness and non-rigidity of the entire base, and the tracks on the seat itself. Plus the additional height - for me, if I'm setting the seat to have at least a couple of inches of travel (which will still give me a pretty hard bottoming out on some bumps - I could solve that by installing a few limiting straps on the seat frame, and reworking the shock mount, or finding a shock with less travel and stiffer rebound.....but naaaaahhhhhhhh, my experiment has run its course), I will be looking directly at the top of the door frame on the drivers door, and just under the overhead shelf through the windshield.

(hey, I need more coffee...sorry about the run on!)

They're not up to rough use, over the road, OK. Rough road....nope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles