More Military Blood Bank freezer fridges

spikemd

Explorer
Looks like they are the absolute best for refrigeration, but at 150lbs, that is a lot of weight for just your fridge. It is a BIG unit.

I wonder how much power it takes to run. One of the advantages of the ARB/Engel/Waeco is low power draw. From the specs I found on the web:

Hold Times Below 10°C (Internal Battery Run Time):
• 14 hours at 43°C (110°F) ambient
• 48 hours at 25°C (77°F) ambient
Estimated Power Consumption (Refrigeration Mode):
• 12 Watts at 25°C (77°F)
• 35 Watts at 43°C (110°F)
• 55 Watts at 49°C (120°F)

Anyone know how to convert this to amp hours? The new ARB uses 0.7-2.3 amp hours.

I know it has its own internal batteries. But power consumption is a consideration. Most military spec units are build tough and not necessarily power conservative.

If there could be some group buy to ship out to California, I still may be interested. I am in Sacramento, but will be down in SoCal in a few weeks. I am just not sure how to coordinate FedEx to go pick it up.

blackbox

I wonder how much power it takes to run. One of the advantages of the ARB/Engel/Waeco is low power draw. From the specs I found on the web:

Hold Times Below 10°C (Internal Battery Run Time):
• 14 hours at 43°C (110°F) ambient
• 48 hours at 25°C (77°F) ambient
Estimated Power Consumption (Refrigeration Mode):
• 12 Watts at 25°C (77°F)
• 35 Watts at 43°C (110°F)
• 55 Watts at 49°C (120°F)

Anyone know how to convert this to amp hours? The new ARB uses 0.7-2.3 amp hours.

Excellent point. However, amp-hours is a total quantity unit, amps is a rate unit. If the ARB uses .7-2.3 amps @ 12V, thats 8-28 watts, so figure this beast uses about 1.5x the power.

badfysh

Adventurer
So it looks like I got two of the military freezers in the latest auction go around. Funny about one of them, they misspelled the title (hennacool instead of hemacool) so I am wondering if that is why nobody knew about the other one.

now for the headache of trying to get them picked up. Also, a little side note on something in the fine print, auction charges a 10% pre tax premium to the buyer.

I got one from ohio and one from virgina.

I'll keep you guys posted. I don't need two so if I actually get both and someone in socal wants to buy one, let me know. Will sell it super cheap. basically my costs plus a small hassle fee.

badfysh

Adventurer
yup, not a problem. gonna get them here and fix that one and sell the new one or keep the new one and use the second for spares :)

as I said, I'll keep you posted and let you knwo if I get both and if I sell one.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I bought two the first time around, and the SAR team decided against theirs, so I have one for sale, $750- exactly what I paid, and no delivery the first time as I picked them up in route somewhere. Just add shipping, and if you want the best shipping quote, you have to do the home work. Thanks, not trying to be difficult, but really, the burden is on you for cheap shipping, as I am getting nothing out of this sale. Cheers, Dale

badfysh

Adventurer
one of my fridges arrived today.....

posted on LRRF

So I bought two Military freezer/fridges from the government auctions. One arrived today. Its currently doing its first start up (cool down) period. Its going well. Everything working as manual says it should.

Fridge has 3 ranges, cool = 34-43F, freeze = below -4F (yes, minus 4), and warm which will keep all items inside from dropping below -39F in sub zero ambient temp (no good for me).

At any rate, its a bit larger in person than i was expecting. But at half the price of a comparable Engel 80 and much better suited to a harsh environment (my driving) I think this was a better choice. We will see after a few uses and trips.

The second unit is on its way and will probably be up for sale. I guess they are typically selling for about $750 over on ExPo and around $1500-3000 on fleabay. A deal considering the taxpayers paid $8763.11 each for these things!!!

here are some pics.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

GrassCat

Adventurer
There is a problem with your pictures.

I get this message "You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles